Sign in to follow this  
mrhobbit

Starting from scratch, Home Rig

Hi all, I have been in this audio obsession for 4 years or so. Safe to say I know what kind of sound I like.(Think Alessandro)

So far, I have always been on a portable setup, am looking to start my home rig now.

Not planning to go speakers, plan to go headphone rig actually.

Source=Laptop, played with itunes, lossless quality.(Or should I go CDP since i got alot of CDs?)

Amp=? Havent figured out which one yet, the heed Canamp seems like a nice way to start

Headphones= I got a pair of HD25 IIs and a pair of MS2s.

My budget isnt very large at the moment, because I am still reading and finding out what exactly is required for a home rig(and adjusting my budget according)

The main question I would like to ask is, from a laptop to an amp that has built in DAC(iBasso)through the USB cable, how does it compare to a CDP's output? Assuming that the song is ripped in lossless.

Many thanks! :))

the output coming from an amp and a CDP will sound greatly different!

I would suggest you going for a CDP, as you have so many CDs, and also, i prefer the sound coming out from CDP rather then from computer. It sound more natural and treble is high.

the CDP just give you certain sound that the computer will not be able to give.,.i dunno what is the thing but i tested with a denon cdp only and the different was huge comparing to an ipod or lappy with lossless format ripped from CDs....i will say...go for a heed can,maybe change a headphone too?unless u find the current headphone nice with the heed,i myself love the heed can amp with k701 from akg...just stated desktop for 3 mths too here..newbie

Hi all, I have been in this audio obsession for 4 years or so. Safe to say I know what kind of sound I like.(Think Alessandro)

So far, I have always been on a portable setup, am looking to start my home rig now.

Not planning to go speakers, plan to go headphone rig actually.

Source=Laptop, played with itunes, lossless quality.(Or should I go CDP since i got alot of CDs?)

Amp=? Havent figured out which one yet, the heed Canamp seems like a nice way to start

Headphones= I got a pair of HD25 IIs and a pair of MS2s.

My budget isnt very large at the moment, because I am still reading and finding out what exactly is required for a home rig(and adjusting my budget according)

The main question I would like to ask is, from a laptop to an amp that has built in DAC(iBasso)through the USB cable, how does it compare to a CDP's output? Assuming that the song is ripped in lossless.

Many thanks! :))

Go cdp unless you ave a very good DAC Notice you have a MS2. I personally find it bright and hate the metallic sound. You can choose to replace it or get some tube amp like ef1 to bring some warmth into it. Anyway, just try to minimize your spending now till you get a good understanding of what you really need.

Hi there, thanks alot for all of the feedback.

so in all likelihood a CDP would have better sound right? I personally like the idea of a versatility of using my itunes to play stuff since I got all my music on it(Dont have to keep changing etc etc)

But sound is what I am after... so a CDP would be on my list now.

An Entry level one....What I plan to do is establish a home rig system, a very basic one so as I learn more, easier to decide, for now would like tasters :D

Any advice on where to go? and where to find?

I am so sorry asking about all these once again(feels like 4 years back when I knew nuts about portables). Home Rigs are alot more complicated I realised!

Other than Headfi, Echoloft.... any other good hifi forums that concentrate on Home Audio?

CD player is still the way to go if sound quality you're looking, both price and performance ratio. There's always a compromise in quality for versatility of digital format unless you're looking at a fortune to perfect it. A budget cdp can beat most higher end computer and dac easily.

For cdp, you can look at Marantz, Cambridge, Rotel and etc. These are cheap and very good. Available at Adelphi or Sim Lim Sq.

I noticed that headphone is more dependent on amp than source. You've to look at one that can drive most cans well to prevent all the headache in future when you upgrade. You can check out the new SPL Auditor at Stereo, Plaza Sing. This is an excellent amp, plenty of power with a great price. Look for Aron and ask for his suggestion. Don't worry, he's NEVER pushy in sales, always ask me not to buy. :bash: He'll give you very good direction and honest view.

The best place for headphone reference is Headfi. Of course, here is also the best place to share information. Echoloft and xtremeplace as mentioned, are more into Hifi and HT.

Edited by ical

Look for Aron and ask for his suggestion. Don't worry, he's NEVER pushy in sales, always ask me not to buy. :bash:

Perhaps reverse psychology is your weakness?

Perhaps reverse psychology is your weakness?

i second that B)

:b2t

budget CDP - add in NAD as well :cans:

I called that FOCUS and know what good is coming. :grin:

PLEASE LAH.... :b2t

Edited by ical

Thanks to all for the various pieces of advice :))

Have been running around with a 2 pairs of phones and tried a few CDPs here and there. There sure is a VERY very large amount to choose from.

Its quite confusing to be honest. Guess I just gotta read abit more and run around abit more to try different sets.

Any specific models to recommend? Some of the owners at Adelphi aint THAT friendly. hahaha, and it really looks abit dumb to walk in and ask something to recommend imo.

OT: Acquired a pair of ES9Ws for cheaps, hahaha, temporary measure to prevent myself from impulse buying! :))

Agreed, check with Aron. Very nice and obliging :thumbup:

for a cdp i would recommend the cd6002. for me its one of the most bang for buck cdps out there!

and you might also like to try the ldmk1+ and sr325i combo. works wonders for me (: