Sign in to follow this  
Ravenica

USB-DAC vs Asus Essence STX?

Hi.. I'm somewhat new here.. So like the topic says.. Currently i'm wondering if getting a usb-dac vs getting an Essence STX? Which would be better for audio..?? :cans:

Gaming isn't much of my concern anymore compared to last time.. Heh.. :)

Edited by Ravenica

Guest Rudi

Some say that for pristine 2 channel audio usb dacs are better (no noise from PC), but as far as I know a lot depends on how usb is implemented on both ends as in some cases it induces jitter. If you look at discussions between USB and Firewire folks on head-fi and other forums you will see what I am getting at. I would use a sound card over the USB dac but I am a PC guy not a hifi guy. Auzentech X-Fi Forte does everything that Xonar Essence does and more for less money and the sound quality of both cards is top notch so have a look on the Forte card, I'd say.

Hmm, that jitter thing is blown waaay out of proportion if you ask me. i've read that exact head-fi thread too and it's quite amusing to see how aggressively they debate lol.

Ravenica: Is this solely for usage with speakers? Since you don't care about gaming, get a stand-alone dac. I went from a xfi xtrememusic to a styleaudio peridot and the difference is obvious.

Thanks for all the replies..

Hmm.. Speakers maybe occasionally.. I intend to use headphones most of the time.. And since my priorities is more to listening to music instead of playing games.. I should skip getting the STX and get a stand-alone dac or should i get a dac/amp..?

if you aren't going to multitask while listening to music thru your DAC, then by all means get it.

if you are going to multitask, you are going to cry :(

so you must get a proper soundcard.