Sign in to follow this  
heady

y2 - group buy? Interest check.

Casing still on order from RS, so the y2 is still naked.

The y1 faceplates are now extra for me, so if anyone's looking for them drop me a PM.

Hi blippster,

Did you sleep? Isn't this exam time? :))

You have my respect. Wow, fast work. You just collected from me late last night. :party:

How's the sound quality compared to the y1?

Edited by heady

Itchy hands :blush:

For context, my y2 is using the WM8741 with OPA2365 for the output filter and Nichicon KW/Wimas for the output capacitors. My y1 was built with Muse/Wima output caps.

From what I've heard so far, its definitely a step up in refinement. The improvement isn't strikingly obvious, but after some listening I think there's better imaging and smoother mids and (especially) highs. I found the y1 slightly harsh on some systems, but don't think that will be a problem with the y2. Background is quite silent, even running directly out of the y2.

Some build notes for those who haven't yet started:

- it is possible to short to the case of X1 when soldering on to the SMD pads; only pin 2 (ground) is supposed to be a dead short. might want to consider using the resistor leads to add little legs to the crystal to fit the through holes (although I don't know how that affects performance)

- try very hard to ensure the WM874x is well soldered before populating surrounding components. mine almost didn't make it through the couple of reflows :unsure: the SRC4192 is much more accessible in comparison

- digital filters seem to make a slight but not very significant change in sound, so the switches might be left out to save money if you have a chance to compare them before hand and choose which you prefer most.

- of the small ceramic capacitors, all have the same value except C2 & C5 - and they look the same aside from the last printed digit. mixed 1 of them up there, was quite a pain to try to rectify

Overall, the y2 is one of the better DACs that I've heard, no regrets going for this one :rolleyes:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Layouts done in FPD, based on AMB's dimensions, 2mm panel thickness. Don't think I'll be upgrading my y1 to Full++ configuration, hence the lack of the digital outputs on the front. Have yet to verify this set of drawings though.

Don't know what the cost for fabricating the panels is locally, but FPD is quoting 42 USD per set, dropping to 33 USD per set shipping exclusive for 10 of each. There's a smaller price break (10% instead of 20%) for 5 each. Prices are without in-fill, so you'll have to DIY the fill for the engravings with a crayon - but that does save about 10 USD per set.

mouz, if these would be helpful let me know and I'll send you the files in .fpd or .pdf (don't know which would be more useful, sorry)

Wah, u damn fast leh, I haven't even got time to order the parts yet. The ones I've made so far are in plastic and cheap, about 15-20 SGD. BTW, guy with the laser cut services only accepts cdr files(corel draw).

Just a tip, it's better to print it out on paper first and cut out the holes, test the template before sending it for cut. I had to edit AMB's dimensions a bit here and there to get the y1 template to fit proper the last time. I got no sources for metal plates yet, really hoping someone would throw me a bone here on this....

Wah, u damn fast leh, I haven't even got time to order the parts yet. The ones I've made so far are in plastic and cheap, about 15-20 SGD. BTW, guy with the laser cut services only accepts cdr files(corel draw).

Just a tip, it's better to print it out on paper first and cut out the holes, test the template before sending it for cut. I had to edit AMB's dimensions a bit here and there to get the y1 template to fit proper the last time. I got no sources for metal plates yet, really hoping someone would throw me a bone here on this....

Still waiting for RS to deliver the case so I can make comparisons, but so far AMB's dimensions vs. the downloadable .pdf drilling template seem to be about 3% off :huh:

Not too sure where we can find the people who can do this, since it involves both cutting and (I assume) engraving. Looking at the shops that cut Al for PC case modding and the like, but that will probably take some time unless I feel rich and decide to order from FPE.

:thumbup: Great Job Blipster. =)

can anyone advice on how much is it to get all the parts to build a y2? a ballpark figure is good. considering diying one or ordering from MisterX at 360USD + shipping.

Thanks!

can anyone advice on how much is it to get all the parts to build a y2? a ballpark figure is good. considering diying one or ordering from MisterX at 360USD + shipping.

Thanks!

a full y1/y2 around SG$400 shipped and done by yourself

Thanks for the reply. Assuming I were to do this myself, could i get all the parts off AMB audio? Or do i have to go thru mouser and digikey for certain components? Also the enclosure from the RS Singapore website fits?

Thanks for the reply. Assuming I were to do this myself, could i get all the parts off AMB audio? Or do i have to go thru mouser and digikey for certain components? Also the enclosure from the RS Singapore website fits?

only critical parts from amb... the rest caps,resistor self purchased, online is easier with the part no. given by amb

if it is in the BOM from amb is compatible