Plexcio Acoustics

UM1 + UM56 = ?

You probably have canals that are quite bent, like mine. The only thing that could stay longer was Comply, but even that had a limit.

If that's the case, you might find that the UM56s will offer you some comfort, but it could also change the sound, since the soundwave will be directed more to your eardrums than your canals.

Will it change the sound for the better? I'm rather worried about SQ too because I love my UM1s now but any improvement will be great! :drool:

Gave my canals a little probe and I think they're just mighty small and maybe a little bent. :grin:

Firstly, what size olives are you using? If your ears hurt because they press too hard, then try using a size smaller. Unless you're using small olives, a smaller size should be more comfortable.

I have UM56 and they are not as comfortable as comply tips but about the same as olives with little pressure. I tried them with the UM1 recently and it really brought out the bass in the UM1. Midrange was still recessed though, and I heard no change to the treble.

Firstly, what size olives are you using? If your ears hurt because they press too hard, then try using a size smaller. Unless you're using small olives, a smaller size should be more comfortable.

I have UM56 and they are not as comfortable as comply tips but about the same as olives with little pressure. I tried them with the UM1 recently and it really brought out the bass in the UM1. Midrange was still recessed though, and I heard no change to the treble.

I'm already using small olives. My canals must be puny huh? :shocking:

I'm quite okay with olives at first till I start feeling the pressure from them... I could really do with a tad more bass too! :thumbup:

You mean midrange is the same?

Do the UM1 stick out a lot when you use the UM56?

So many questions running through my head now :rclxub:

I never liked the hollow-sounding midrange of the UM1, it just doesn't sound right to me no matter what tip I use, so maybe the UM56 had no effect on the midrange at all. The UM56 brings out more bass to all Westone universals to my ears.

Here's what my old UM2 looked like from the front with olives (left) and UM56 (right). Note that it doesn't stick out that much.

IPB Image

I never liked the hollow-sounding midrange of the UM1, it just doesn't sound right to me no matter what tip I use, so maybe the UM56 had no effect on the midrange at all. The UM56 brings out more bass to all Westone universals to my ears.

Here's what my old UM2 looked like from the front with olives (left) and UM56 (right). Note that it doesn't stick out that much.

IPB Image

ooooh nice!

Sounds like it's what I'm looking for after all :prettyprincess:

I'm still quite ok with that hollow feeling I guess my ears aren't THAT fussy YET :grin:

Where did you get your's done? Jaben?

Yeah, at Jaben. Do note that it costs slightly more than a UM1, and that while it give me more bass, it might be very different for you since they are like any other tip, different people will hear different things with them.

Yeah, at Jaben. Do note that it costs slightly more than a UM1, and that while it give me more bass, it might be very different for you since they are like any other tip, different people will hear different things with them.

Heh... I guess I'll be taking the first step to customs soon =D

Thanks alot for your help!

Sorry... side track a little bit..

Where to buy Small Olives? Have bought olives from Jaben, asked for the smallest, but not as small as the smallest comply. Is the smallest olive still quite big in size compared to the comply or I am not getting the smallest olives available?

Thanks!

Sorry... side track a little bit..

Where to buy Small Olives? Have bought olives from Jaben, asked for the smallest, but not as small as the smallest comply. Is the smallest olive still quite big in size compared to the comply or I am not getting the smallest olives available?

Thanks!

Look at the side where you insert the nozzle. A small one is indicated by one dot on the foam, a medium has 2 dots, L with 3.

forget about the UM56 or doing anything else to yr um1... unless u really really love it..

the money could be better spent on getting /upgrading to a better pair of iems and u would get a much more performance for the buck.

Then when u are ready, go stereo to reshell yr universal at stereo...

um56 is v extra and inelegant solution.

Edited by weikiat