Sign in to follow this  
artemov

Two Headphones and An Amp

Hi all,

I am trying to revamp my home headphone system. As I listen to all kinds of music, from classical, vocals (both males and females), (some) jazz and instrumentals, all the way to pop, dance and heavy metal (addicted to Black Sabbath now; previous addiction was Rachmaninoff! :P), I am looking at getting two different headphones to better cater to the different types of music.

For pop, dance and heavy metal I am less fussy with SQ and is considering the Alessandro MS1i.

I am looking at low, well-defined bass as well as good details.

For classical and vocals I am more fussy with SQ. I am hoping for something with good details, imaging and separation, but with musicality and sweetness(?). I am looking at the AKG K702 but I read that it is very neutral/balanced and can be uninvolving, so I guess I need a suitable amp to inject that quinessential musicality and sweetness. A tube amp perhaps?

Any suggestion or recommendation?

I have a budget of around S$1.5k for the two headphones and amp, S$2k max.

Cheers.

Seem like you already know what you want for headphone. Just drop by Stereo and have a audition. There's many to choose from depending on your budget.

For your genre of music, solidstate amp might be more suitable. Tube amp might not be able to handle classical well. You can check out Graham Slee which is cheap and good. For tube, Darkvoice will be within your budget.

The choice of having 2 cans for different genres of music is an excellent one. I think the 702 is the perfect choice for the genre of music that you just mentioned. The bass will surface out with the correct amplification. The soundstage and separation on the 702 is excellent.

For rock and metal, some of the recommendations that I have gotten include Ultrasone Pro 900 and Grado 325. I guess you'll have to audition and decide. I quite enjoy the Sennheiser 25-I for rock and metal, it has punchy bass and decent details. I am also getting a Denon D2000 coming my way. The bass is supposed to be nice on them. Unfortunately the Ultrasone is a little over my budget...well, maybe next time.

Hi all,

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I had a go at the Grado 125 just today. Find it a bit lean, though more lively, as compared to my Senn HD595 (both playing MP3s through the HA Info NG94 USB DAC/Amp). Now I am having second thought on the Alessandro MS1i for rock :(

The Denon and Ultrasone recommended by naglfar seem interesting. Will try to find more info on them.

For the classical/vocals combo, I wonder if a STAX 3030 or 4040 system would be better than a K702+Amp combi.

Edited by artemov

I had a go at the Grado 125 just today. Find it a bit lean, though more lively, as compared to my Senn HD595 (both playing MP3s through the HA Info NG94 USB DAC/Amp). Now I am having second thought on the Alessandro MS1i for rock :(

u won't go wrong with the MS1i for rock. it replaced my previous SR225i.

the alex will also do other genres well. at that price point, it has few peers.

I just got my Denon D2000 today. Wow...these cans are really excellent for rock. Nice bass, good detail and decent soundstage - very musical. With my EF1, it sounds just right. I'll spend more time listening to it tonight - but first impression is that these are excellent for rock. And it's feels very comfortable, too.

I'll still keep my 702s for female vocals and lighter stuff...

I just got my Denon D2000 today. Wow...these cans are really excellent for rock. Nice bass, good detail and decent soundstage - very musical. With my EF1, it sounds just right. I'll spend more time listening to it tonight - but first impression is that these are excellent for rock. And it's feels very comfortable, too.

I'll still keep my 702s for female vocals and lighter stuff...

Hi naglfar,

Are you using the EF1 for your K702 too?

Can pm me where and for how much you got your D2000?

Cheers.

Hey guys, I got my D2000 from the head-fi forum. It's a used pair, but the condition is really really good. I'm in the US now, so it's easier to set up a deal over here. Paid less than US$200, with shipping included.

Yes, I am using my EF1 to drive the Denon. Definitely more punchy than the AKG, but the AKG's resolution is better.

Well I will be back in SGP in December. Currently using the EF1 to drive the AKG. It sounds decent, but I am sure there's plenty of room for improvement with a beefier amp. Will drop by Jaben to listen to the Canamp when I'm back.

Heed is a brand from Hungary, not a US brand. In the 2nd hand market, prices are like US$300, not exactly cheap. And the stuff here is mostly 110V. I'd rather get a unit that uses local voltage. Not quite sure how much a local unit will cost, though...

Edited by naglfar