Sign in to follow this  
devilz

where to find soldering iron

sorry , a little newbie here...

i wanted to terminate the cables on my headphone...

i know stereo got the jack

but the problem is i dont know where can i find the soldering iron...or the lead..

any ideas where can i find it?

You can get a normal soldering iron and lead from some hardware shops at HDB hubs. But I would go fr better brands if possible.

If you have time, try to visit Sim Lim Tower at Ronchor. they have a lot of different Soldering iron Brands to choose from. They should have good quality ones that are cheap and won't break the bank.

For the Lead, I would advice trying silver solders as it is really good for audio connections. There is a significant amount of SQ I get using silver solders. I had an experience of using belden RCA ICs where one is using normal lead and one using silver solder. The silver Soldered one better. But this is my personal experience so YMMV. :blush:

Some brands of silver solder I know are the Cardas Tri Eutectic/Quad eutectic Solder (Can be bought at 4th flr adelphi) & Oyaide 6n (Audio basic at Adelphi & X Audio at Bukit timah Plaza) and Kester (w/ silver no idea where to get). :smoke:

Hope this helps. ;)

PS: i personally don't do soldering as I suck in it. So I always have a roll at home and bring it out when i want to have it done. =)

sorry , a little newbie here...

i wanted to terminate the cables on my headphone...

i know stereo got the jack

but the problem is i dont know where can i find the soldering iron...or the lead..

any ideas where can i find it?

if you need wbt or wonder silver solder with silver content, can pop by either well audio or ahf audio, larry hifi etc.. ask to buy a metre.. usually about seven bucks to ten bucks

as for the jack, would be nice if you can find a screw version that uses a screw to tighten before you load the solder on to seal it. may be sonically better as you have prior tight contact before introducing a new metal (tin/silver solder)

other good solders that people can consider's mundorf's supreme solder, with silver/gold content.. but whether its available in sg or not.. not too sure.. can buy online though.. in 100grams,250grams or 1kg amounts.