Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Tube amplifiers

Discussion started around in the Lounge so as suggested, brought it over to here.

In a nut shell, Blues is looking into the Berning MicroZOTL or EarMax Pro to power the Sony MDR-CD3000 (Musical Fidelity A3 CD as source). What other tube amps would be able to/suit this combination? Price wise around the same preferably not more, new/used.

MG Head (OTL), although it is possible to run low impedance cans (using low gain output tubes) on it higher impedance cans seems to sound alot better. Unless you're using maybe with the MKII or 32. They are cheaper of course but since Blues already has a Corda HA-1 I'm not sure how the sound would be like as I only listened to the HA-2 & with different equipment briefly.

I have tried the CD3K on my Mapletree Audio Design (MAD) EAR - sounded very musical with both extended highs and lows, roll the tube to Mullard 12AX7 for better mids or Sylvania Gold Label 5751 for expanded soundstaging. Price - US$400 assembled or you can get it in a kit cheaper.

The issue with MG Head OTL has always been the quality control. Reading comments from head-fi, I shaked my head in disbelief that Joe Lau couldn't and wouldn't guarantee that every single amp be subjected to a stringent QC inspection.

Sadly, there ain't too many choices when it comes to tube amps and especially when you've placed a certain budget on it.

Since Blues' intention is to drive a low impedance cans, it would be best if the amp is specifically designed for this or that a transformer output is used to match the can's impedance.

Cayin HA-1A is definitely worth a try.

Cayin HA-1A is definitely worth a try.

Ahh yes the Cayin is definitely a good option if you can have it shipped. yes.gif

Well I do agree, the Cayin after tube rolling and coupled to the A3 with a nice interconnect do sound pretty good.

THe Sudgen with the A3 and the CD3k do sound pretty good as well. But since Blues wants a tube amp, I guess this option would be out.

Edited by lengcm

I guess I was one of the many extremely lucky people to get mine with no problems whatsover Oak.

Some MAD EAR stuff:

http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/ear+purist.htm

http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/ear++.htm (Headphone+Preamp)

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/mes...ages/93139.html

In the aesthetics and sonics department, I can't recommend the Cayin more. A Mullard CV4004 (12AX7) and CV4003 (12AU7) tube roll (costing $165 in total) will yield much improvement over the stock tubes but one needs not embark on this course immediately as the original config is still a joy to listen to.

Since Blues and I have the same cdp and interconnects (Tara Labs Ref Gen 2), I can safely attests to a synergy in this setup.

Edited by Mackie

MAD prices: http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/prices.htm note the option to have Noble/Alps Blue Velvet pot & Black Gates Caps upgrades.

A blue coloured headphone amp for Blues.

hehehe... lol.giflol.gif

I've tried gilmore , HA-2 and a few other good solid state amps out there. Hm while the sound is good , detailed and punchy, I still prefer tube for my next upgrade. Of course I am aware about the high maintenance needed by these babies unsure.gif

But the right tube amp(with right tubes) should sound pretty darn good. Had the chance to hear barradio's zotl and the cd3k and it had always remained solid in my memory. The cayin, mf anc cd3k combo comes close.

That's why now I am quite firm on the zotl. Of course I am still very open. I will try if I can hear emp, the MAD and others.

Oh yes btw, I need it to drive cd3k and occasionally the ety 4s laugh.giflaugh.gif

hm...

Edited by Blues