[J]-ohn

Maverick Audio DAC

jus try it wit sr325,sound clean!!!!but weird!sound a bit cold,consider to get 1 also,if my wife allow me to buy ^_^

At that price, I doubt your wife will mind. :smoke:

Guest dragonboy

Just came back and found that I missed so much action. :prettyprincess: But a brief audition with the Maverick was stunning..... for something at that price :DD . It drives stubborn headphones like the AKG 701 and Sennheiser HD800 effortlessly. The delivery of bass was fast and tight with extremely WARM vocals.

Overall, it was really a steal at that price.... Not likely I'm gonna grab it... with my phonitor still around :grin: . But I'm sure going to poison my colleages DEEP DEEP this time. They sure kanna hook for that price. :icon_angel_devil:

Edited by dragonboy

Let's not forget that at less than S$300 retail, you're getting a DAC AND a headphone amp.

DAC

It's a good DAC that compares favorably with my Marantz SA7003 SACDP. The source selector switch allows me to effortlessly A/B the sound through the optical input from the 7003 and the analog RCA input (using the 7003's built-in DAC). It has more bass punch than the 7003 and the lower mids are boosted. If you like warm, bassy sound - this is it. 2 downsides: a) it's rougher, brighter and more coloured than the 7003 B) there's hiss from both the optical and usb inputs at higher volumes, so you lose detail. The RCA input, on the other hand, is completely silent.

Headphone amp

It is a darn good headphone amp regardless of price. Drives my HD800 beautifully. Lotsa bass punch and warm mids. Completely silent (no hiss) when used purely as an amp i.e. through the RCA inputs. Sound signature reminds me of my old Heed Canamp, which retails for 2.5 times the price and doesn't come with a DAC. Needless to say, it drives my Grados very well.

For the DAC or headphone amp ALONE, it's already a no-brainer :rclxms:

At this price, for BOTH, it's a freaking steal.... :shocking:

Hi kds5000, what's the problem of pre-amp out? Is it not functioning properly or? I do want to connect it to my amp...This looks like a freaking steal...

Hi kds5000, what's the problem of pre-amp out? Is it not functioning properly or? I do want to connect it to my amp...This looks like a freaking steal...

there are 2 versions depending on which OEM type maverick got, one is pre-amp volume variable with headphone volume, the other version, preamp volume is not controlled, only headphone volume can be controlled.

the other issue is whether pre-amp out is muted when headphone jack is in, or preamp out is not muted when headphone is plugged in.

i just did a factory inquiry for five sets, they call it type 1A or 2A. but i'm still considering whether its worth the trouble of arranging it to come to sg from factory straight

It's not functioning properly. The channels are unstable - one minute 1 side is completely gone, the next minute it comes back on, then it gets softer.... (repeat)...

I wanted to replace my unit but the others at the shop have a similar problem. The manufacturer is looking into it.

I wouldn't recommend using the pre-amp out to another amp because you don't need to - the built in amp is really that good... :party:

just to share my impression :))

thanks to bro kids5000 for lending to try his maverick amp

i can even attest even my 3 hardest to drive cans have VERY GOOD synergy with it

my beyer is showing extreme bass and very forwards mids a very good match with my dt880

hd650 was full of life and wow the prat is different

k701 was really showing their dark side.....the bass is full!!! and extremely detail!!!

needless to say it is a STEAL for a price and drove all my 3 cans extreme well

i was using my dac to bypass the maverick dac but i can agree that headphone section is a top notch

:thumbup: i may get 1 just to compliment my balanced amp side by side :D

but it appears that using the inbuilt amp you bypass the tube? or am I reading it wrong.

You're right. The in-built amp is SS. The tube is only for the pre-amp out. But honestly, you don't need to run this through a separate amp... :grin:

just to share my impression :))

thanks to bro kids5000 for lending to try his maverick amp

i can even attest even my 3 hardest to drive cans have VERY GOOD synergy with it

my beyer is showing extreme bass and very forwards mids a very good match with my dt880

hd650 was full of life and wow the prat is different

k701 was really showing their dark side.....the bass is full!!! and extremely detail!!!

needless to say it is a STEAL for a price and drove all my 3 cans extreme well

i was using my dac to bypass the maverick dac but i can agree that headphone section is a top notch

:thumbup: i may get 1 just to compliment my balanced amp side by side :D

Now you know why I ordered mine on the spot... :thumbup:

It's not functioning properly. The channels are unstable - one minute 1 side is completely gone, the next minute it comes back on, then it gets softer.... (repeat)...

I wanted to replace my unit but the others at the shop have a similar problem. The manufacturer is looking into it.

I wouldn't recommend using the pre-amp out to another amp because you don't need to - the built in amp is really that good... :party:

I do wish it can output to my NX-03, and the tube pre-amp is a selling point for me, as last time I was surprised by a tube buffer during the meet. If the buit in amp can surpass NX-03 then I may bang my head on the wall, buy it and sell away NX-03 without doubt. Let's see how the manufacturer solve this issue.

Hi neutralzz,

It depends on the design of circuitry of the amp.

If preamp volume is not controlled, it may bypass the volume pot(which may degrade sound quality)

I do prefer preamp out is not muted when headphone is plugged in, and so I can do A-B comparing..

Guest dragonboy

Check out with the stereo causeway point since it's closer to my office.... I've pack enough poison to kill five of my colleague but unfortunately they don't enough stocks on hand. Guess we need to go Plaza Sing this time... lets hope stocks are still available. They're not so bothered about the pre-out section since the DAC / AMP is already enough to drop their jaws liao the moment they put on their headphones. :grin::grin: .

Wonder did I pump in to much poison into them? :pose::pose:

Edited by dragonboy

Chip in my 2 cents here. Before that, thanks to Maverick Team Leader who loaned the unit to me.

I have never heard my k701 responding so willingly and lively before. Wow. Like many reviews above, the headphone amp department packed a punch. It easily kick up storm on my K701 and DT880 (600hms). The prat and speed is obviously there. Compared to my Zero stock headphone amp, Maverick is miles ahead in term of power. Compared to my Darkvoice 337, well, shouldn't be compared at all some may say, since the DV337 cost much more. I'm not saying that Maverick is ideal, but for that price .... I can't ask for too much. I have only briefly listened to the DAC department, not enough to make comments. Finally, it is unknown if the amp and dac will or will not improve upon further run-in; as with many other audio equipments, they probably will.

I'm done with Maverick, looking to audit more toys..... :P

Edited by RickEC

yup woke my dt880 600 ohm and k 701 up like pumping steroids into them

it may not have the refinement or tubey favor of darkvoice 337 but the bass i will agree it is even better than of tubes amps i have auditioned ....