Sign in to follow this  
Musicdude

Recommend headphones

I am intending to get a full sized headphones and would like to hear some suggestions what should I get.

I want to use them at home to listen to music and watch movie on my TV and Laptop. Closed or Open cans doesn't really matter as long as they sound nice and durable. Price range should be around $150 plus and minus a little.

I am looking at the ATH A500 and AD series as well. I've heard that the A500s padding tends to wear off very easily, any modifications that can be done to it?

Thanks.

How about MS1s and AD700? Anyone?

Oh yea, want to ask if anyone knows where can I get the SRH 440 cheap. I've asked several shops and all are of different price and they vary quite a lot.

Edited by Musicdude

i definitely recommend MS1 or SR80

previously im using A700 but sometimes the highs too sharp for me

then i traded with 2nd hand MS1, im really loving it

anyway if u want A500, u can change the pads to A1000 pad, better quality than the stock one, will not peel

I have not auditioned the others but I have a pair of ATH-AD700's and I can vouch for their effectiveness.

They're simply amazing.

Stereophile Class "A" rating no less and available for less than $100.00 delivered.

Seems like a no brainer to me, but to be fair, like I said, I have not auditioned the others.

For watching TV and movies on the computer, I use the Grado SR80. You can get one on the resale market below $100. It is cheap, hardy and sound pretty decent. You may need an extension for TV watching if you don't want to sit to near to the screen.

I just bought two pairs of Shure from Stereo Electronics Plaza Singapura. That is after testing it and comparing it with few other phones, including several Sennheiser. I found the sound not as warm as Senn, but overall more balanced. Highs, mids and lows are discernibly good. I bought for Sis and Bro-in-law. They are using for TV sets. One good thing about the Shure is that it is relatively easy to drive compared to Senn, i.e. suitable for TV set and laptop. Can't remember model off hand, but I can check. It is closed, and very comfortable. It is also way below your budget of $150. :)