Sign in to follow this  
beetlez

Help on bass for home setup

This is my home setup that I've got it few years ago.

Marantz AV receiver SR5500.

Mordaunt Short Premiere 5.1 speakers

LG DVD/CD player (crappy free gift from starhub).

When I play DVD movies, it gives me boomy and powerful bass (you know that kind that you can feel it in your chest). However, when I play audio CD, it sounds very flat. Almost no bass (or too little to feel impact).

Any suggestions what could go wrong?

what do you mean by stereo? I've checked the marantz sr5500 manual, it says that for PCM signals, it will output to the main left/right speakers only. I'm wondering is there anyway that i can configure the sr5500 to output to left/right and subwoofer for audio cd playback.

what do you mean by stereo? I've checked the marantz sr5500 manual, it says that for PCM signals, it will output to the main left/right speakers only. I'm wondering is there anyway that i can configure the sr5500 to output to left/right and subwoofer for audio cd playback.

Try selecting "Stereo" mode and not "Pure direct".

On the remote, go to "setup" -> "Speaker setup".

Then, Select "large" for Front L/R speakers --> "Yes" for subwoofer and "both" for bass mix.

That should work but I would adjust the LPF for the low frequency cut off to sync a bit between the speakers and the sub to get a more uniform sound.

Hope that helps, a bit rusty on my HT. :yawn:

Thanks, but why is the bass not as strong and power as playing DVD movies?

I even have a DVD audio CD, you know the Blueman group demo dvd audio, when playing that sond the bass is wow.

But playing audio CD, yucks! low bass.

Try selecting "Stereo" mode and not "Pure direct".

On the remote, go to "setup" -> "Speaker setup".

Then, Select "large" for Front L/R speakers --> "Yes" for subwoofer and "both" for bass mix.

That should work but I would adjust the LPF for the low frequency cut off to sync a bit between the speakers and the sub to get a more uniform sound.

Hope that helps, a bit rusty on my HT. :yawn: