rainbowhamster

Help on Hearing Loss!

Why is that so that it will do more damage to the ears?

The best way to listen and enjoy music is to set the volume to a comfortable level. Listening at loud volume not only distort but also sounded jarring and prolong listening can seriously cause deafness. Treasure your hearing for when it is gone even the best hearing aid cannot fully compensate the hearing loss 100%.

Just received a catalog for the 313 Somerset, a new shopping centre in Somerset, above the MRT.

Bay Audio is opening there and there's a special opening free hearing checks.

Why is that so that it will do more damage to the ears?

When you hear loud music over a long period you will in time gradually increase the volume without realizing it. By and by you would naturally not be able to hear normally as you are used to loud sound. It is the same with those who worked in loud noisy environment without using ear plugs. Eventually they will have hearing problem or partially deaf.

Edited by chakoking

Just received a catalog for the 313 Somerset, a new shopping centre in Somerset, above the MRT.

Bay Audio is opening there and there's a special opening free hearing checks.

Sound good but are the ones conducting the free hearing checks qualified audiologists or just consultants with a short period of on the job training only.

I wt to Hearing Solution last week and was attended by their Head of Audiology, Mr Rose, who is a qualified audiologist. In fact, I met him during the GPD at Science Centre. He is very approachable and shares a lot with my mum & I during their roadshow. He gave us a Free Hearing Test Voucher so we took this opportunity to visit their hearing centre. Quite impressed! All the consultation rooms are fully soundproof. Thanks God, I don't have to wear hearing aids at this point of time. But Mr Rose advised me not to expose to loud music all the time as eventually this will affect my hearing when I reach 45yrs & above.

Ya, I agree with TimberWolf not sure if Bay Audio has qualified audiologist to do the hearing test or not. I saw from the papers many months ago, some hearing centres only have consultants who received on the job training but they are not qualified audiologists. Quite risky!

I wt to Hearing Solution last week and was attended by their Head of Audiology, Mr Rose, who is a qualified audiologist. In fact, I met him during the GPD at Science Centre. He is very approachable and shares a lot with my mum & I during their roadshow. He gave us a Free Hearing Test Voucher so we took this opportunity to visit their hearing centre. Quite impressed! All the consultation rooms are fully soundproof. Thanks God, I don't have to wear hearing aids at this point of time. But Mr Rose advised me not to expose to loud music all the time as eventually this will affect my hearing when I reach 45yrs & above.

Ya, I agree with TimberWolf not sure if Bay Audio has qualified audiologist to do the hearing test or not. I saw from the papers many months ago, some hearing centres only have consultants who received on the job training but they are not qualified audiologists. Quite risky!

Glad you went to see Steffen Rose at Hearing Solution and happy to know that you were impressed by your visit. Best of all glad you do not need hearing aids. However, do not expose yourself to loud music if you can possibly help it.

Agreed that TimberWolf has a point there. Anyway those hearing centers charges are not that cheap and maybe even more expensive than Hearing Solution. So why pay more to see a consultant when you can see a qualified audiologist?

go to TTS clinic for hearing test, you can know if your left and righ ears are still in the normal hearing range .. if I recalled correctly, last time was around $80

No idea, the catalogue didn't state end of offer.

I went on wednesday and yesterday. Free left-right check.

Anything else afterwards will be up to an ENT doctor. Right now my ears are having a left-right imbalance (my right ear actually can hear better, causing me some distress on public transport), going through the bureaucratic route of polyclinic ----> NUH referral for an ENT.

did they do hearing test by playing different tones and ask you to press a button if you can hear the tone? or just check using headlamp to see any blockage?

the best is to do hearing test .. then you will know if your left and right ear have normal hearing sensitivity or not

I went on wednesday and yesterday. Free left-right check.

Anything else afterwards will be up to an ENT doctor. Right now my ears are having a left-right imbalance (my right ear actually can hear better, causing me some distress on public transport), going through the bureaucratic route of polyclinic ----> NUH referral for an ENT.

did they do hearing test by playing different tones and ask you to press a button if you can hear the tone? or just check using headlamp to see any blockage?

the best is to do hearing test .. then you will know if your left and right ear have normal hearing sensitivity or not

The former.

I also asked why they do not do ear impressions - the staff there mentioned her higher-ups said not to do so for the purpose of "custom earphones", only for swimming gear and such. She told me she would ask them again.

It seems that the two tubs of goo they bring out are more expensive than they look.