Sign in to follow this  
jclarke

Posting Requirments for the Classfieds should be changed

Dear members,

I am the person Heady is referring to (see http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=10448 ) who made those 50 postings of mostly :)) in "The Lounge Lizard", and it did take me quite some time.

I am a new member who joined about 6 weeks ago. I came across this forum when I was researching iems to buy one for my wife. This forum among others like head-fi.org, headphonereview.org provided me with valuable information, and I finally decided to get her the UE10s. Unfortunately, it was a little too large for her ear canals. So I ordered a Shure 530. I haven't dared open the box cause I was told its as large as the UE10s.

As I myself do not use iems or headphones, I decided to sell them, hence my WTS postings.

Having not read the classified rules initially, I wondered why my posting strangely dissappeared shortly soon after. However, Headly managed to pm me while I happen to be online and advised me to read the rule regardings WTS.

If I offended anyone by my :)) posting, I am sorry. I did so because I wanted to sell off these great iems without delay to anyone who would appreciate them, and where better then a local forum.

To Heady and the rest of the moderators, please reconsider the classified ads requirements. It does not make the forum any better or worse having them. Put a vote to the members and see what they think. From reading some earlier post on the same subject, i don't stand alone in my view.

To the forum members, I shall be selling my iems on ebay under gerard7e7@yahoo.com if any should be interested.

Once again, my apologies should I have offended anyone.

Regards,

Jonathan Clarke

Edited by jclarke

I don't agree. This forum is an information source where members contribute. It's not a sales forum like adpost. If you have contributed by posting, I think the B/S subforum adds value. Most forums I post on have a minimum contribution requirement before you can start selling your stuff.

You're not the first to raise this issue and I'm pretty sure you won't be the last of them. But no worries, if you don't want to abide by the rules here, you're welcome to find other forums with rules that appeal to you.

Obviously, your smiley postings aren't constructive and I'm surprised to think you would assume other users wouldn't be offended by such meaningless spam. Like you said, you want to sell it without delay, I'm pretty sure ebay is a better option.

And your email rings a bell. I do remember this forum having an issue with one such gerard or something similar a few years back. ;)

It's not hard to contribute 50 constructive posts to share with the audio community. In fact, it's only by posting actively that we can sustain the forum.

Indeed. And this place is already much better than other headphone forums like Headcase. You try to post start a sales thread there without first getting to know the people, you will be banned before you can say "bump".

Although all the rules were already in place before I was appointed a mod especially to keep the Classifieds clean, I support the 50 post requirement. And I also agree with the posts that say these 50 posts should be constructive and not frivolous, especially not spam.

The rationale for the requirements to post WTS is to give this privilege to only those who have contributed to the forum. It is a privilege and not a right. And we earn it by contributing to the community.

Cheers.

Edited by heady

:bash:

its actually quite hard to get 50 constructive posts, the only way is to use the forum to "chit chat" with one liners and all that. i think it will take me 1 year to hit 50 posts.

oh well. :rclxub:

the buy/sell section's slow moving with the same items going on and on though.

sgheadphones primary function was and is to provide a place where people can discuss, seek advice, and post their findings. The Buy/Sell section was introduced and unfortunately quickly became a place where you could buy almost anything from unknowns. This became a problem. There were also some people who would get freebies from manufacturer and then selling these (op-amps) to people here. There was even an instance where a picture of a woman with contact details - I suspect you had to pay for her services. She was/is quite pretty btw if indeed the picture was an accurate rendition of the real person.

In order to bring some order to this section of the forum, these new rules were imposed.

Personally, I would have preferred not to have a buy/sell section. But who am I to blow against the wind.

The IEMs you mentioned do have different sized foam and silicon tips. You can also get custom molds for your wife.

The assumption is if you're gonna buy IEMs of the ilk you mentioned, chances are you'll be into this hobby and hence 50 posts shouldn't be a problem.

The last thing they we wanted when this forum was set up was for the buy/sell section to dominate everything else. That would kill the joy and hence the forum would go into decline if not shut altogether! The admin and fellow moderators obviously don't want that to happen.

Hope that helps to soothe those ruffled feathers.

Cheers

i registered 15-May 06

but have less than 50 posts , because i don't see the need to post when i don't need to.

so , it is ironic somewhat.