abhiroopb

Which headphone for a newb?

I'm a bit of newb to headphones. I have been using a pair of Bose In Ear headphones for a while now. They're average really, and I would like to get something a little better.

I generally, use Cnet reviews as a starting point as they tend to have a huge list of products. Looking here I found that the Koss PortalPro was quite highly rated as well as the Sennheiser HD280 or HD485.

As for price I am looking in the range of SGD100 - SGD150. If there is a good deal I'd be happy to take a look at something slightly more.

I enjoy rock music as well as a little bit of pop and hip-hop.

These headphones will be almost exclusively for outdoor use (commuting on the bus and mrt and on planes). So, while noise cancelling is useful I detest headphones that stop working when the battery dies out. Hence, I am looking for something that has a good comfortable fit and that does not leak any sound. Obviously, this also means that portability is an issue but I don't mind them hanging around my neck anyway.

I intend to go to The Adelphi to have a look at a few options (and try them out), but, I would appreciate it if I could get some idea of what kind of headphones would be a good fit for me.

Thanks in advance

Since its going to be for portable, iem would be the best choice for you.

They would provide you with one of the highest level of isolation with a proper seal.

Do try out the following. (Judging from your budget, slightly exceed it abit)

-Westone um1

-Westone 1

-Ultimate Ear SF3

-Shure iems(Ask the staff about it, not that sure about the model at that price range)

Thanks for the response and apologies for not being a bit clearer. While I have been happy with in-ear headphones I have found that I prefer the sound of circumaural earphones. On ear earphones feel a little tacky and uncomfortable and the sound leaks a lot. In-ear earphones don't really immerse me in the music and they have a tendency to break or get tangled when I stuff them in my pockets.

Therefore, I would prefer to buy circumaural headphones. With that in mind I looked at Sennheiser and Koss, but, if there are any other brands or products that are looking good at my price point please point them out.

UPDATE: Also, since I do intend to use it for outdoor use portability is still a factor, so I would prefer headphones that could be folded in some way.

Edited by abhiroopb

Woah..

Headphone that is..

-portable(light weight, foldable)

-high isolation

-works well with rock music as well as a little bit of pop and hip-hop.

And for headphones, the level of isolation it provide is really really inferior compared to iems..

Got some recommendations from me.. but it doesn't fit all 3 requirement.

-Alessandro MS1i << but its a semi open can, and not "exactly" foldable, can only twist the cup side ways.

-Denon D1001 << stretch your budget abit, close cans, but is foldable at all.

-Koss Portapro << isolation low.

I think the best is for you to head down to either Jaben or Stereo and ask for recommendations and try them.

The Koss PortaPro seems like the best option right now as all the reviews seem really good and the price is VERY reasonable.

The thing is I am looking to make an investment for a few years and I'm just worried that the Koss is a little on the low end. Also I'm not a big fan of the design!

It doesn't really have to be foldable, that would just be a plus I guess.

Bottom line for me: looking to make an investment in something that sounds good at my price point. That's the most important thing, everything else I mentioned would be a bonus.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the suggestions.

What about the Sennheiser HD-555? I have heard good things about it, and the price seems quite reasonable (about USD80).

Also thought it would be useful to mention that I wear glasses. Not always but it is something to consider when buying a pair of headphones.

Edited by abhiroopb

The HD555 is kinda under mid size to full size can, not portable at all imo.

And its going to be heavy and hot using that, not to mention it is an open can with super low isolation.

I'm not sure about the price, but do look into sennheiser HD 218, 228 and 238, I believe its around your price range IIRC.

So.. do go and try the few recommendations that I posted first, they are the few that are really recommended at that price range.

Please take ALL our advice with a grain of salt. Do yourself a favour and go down to Stereo Electronics or Jaben and try out as many of the phones mentioned to see which you will like.

We all have different taste in sound quality, what I like, you may not like. So the best judge will be your own ears.

Handy: Fair enough and I have every intention of doing that, but, since there is such a large choice I thought I would get a few ideas to start with.

The Denon is looking like the best for now.

The Denon is looking like the best for now.

You mean the Denon D1001 ?

Do note about the headband's pressure though.

When I had mine, I had to stretch them using 2~3 books daily in order for them to reduce their pressure they are applying on my head.

But many say that the D1k doesn't have the denon sound signature, which I agree to a certain extent.

But you are aimming for the headphone, and not the brand anyway, so just choose it if you like it.

@TS: For your requirements and budget, I still recommend you check out IEMs. With regards to not being immersed in the music enough, it could possibly be a poor seal or improper insertion.

@TS: For your requirements and budget, I still recommend you check out IEMs. With regards to not being immersed in the music enough, it could possibly be a poor seal or improper insertion.

Agreed.. iems for portable, headphone or speakers for desktop.

You were initially using the bose in ear phones right ?

And you are judging, making impressions based off it right ?

If so, I must really recommend that you use any of the iems recommended above with foam tips.

Only a few iems(like sa6, etymotics), whilst using silicon tips provide up to -26dB.. the rest's isolation are really low with silicon tips(IMO).

Don't let Bose's earphone spoil your chance of enjoying portable audio bliss :)

Edited by :: Chicky ::

Might be the poor quality of the Bose I guess.

What kind of prices are the IEMs?

The UE SF3 initial msrp was $159, not sure if there was any changes after logitech took over.

Westone um1 is $145ish.

Westone 1 is slightly more expensive.