abhiroopb

Which headphone for a newb?

i went down to Stereo and tested Denon C452. Really liked it. Was selling for $89. Anyone tried this before?

How's Nuforce Ne-7m as compared to this? I didn't try this one today

I have seen a lot of reviews mentioning the ATH-AD700. What do people think about this?

From the reviews it seems like a very reasonably priced ($100) "audiophile quality" set of headphones.

I found a review of the ATH-AD700 which suggests that the bass is not very good (as compared to others). I listen to a lot of rock and hip-hop so bass would be quite important to me. However, all the other aspects of this set of headphones seems great.

Review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/short-rev...-ms-1-a-246218/

Edited by abhiroopb

do note that ad700 is larger than around the ears and an extreme chore to carry about, i would say more of a chore over the shures cos of its very rounded and bulky shape. Also, since its the open backed design, it will leak sound. not very suitable for outdoor use unless you wanna hear ppl's conversations and wanna 'share' ur music. :P

i used to own the a700 for a short while, this was the close back version. the sound was great, enjoyed it thoroughly. but sold it off due to underusing.

heh, may be getting myself home use headphones next year, maybe shures or audio technica stuff. haha. but then again, needa see if my wallet will be on strike cos i needa build home rig with speakers. wahahha. do update us when u get ur phones eh =D

@ abhiroopb - i'm on a lookout for a pair of cans as well, and i happen to stumble upon your thread . . . coincidentally, i happen to have almost exactly the same requirements as you :)

i went to stereo @ plaza sing earlier today and tried out the following:

- Denon AH-D2000

- Grado SR-80i

- Audio Technica ATH-ES55

initially, i had set my eyes on the ATH-ES55 after reading some reviews . . . however, i felt that the SR-80i was the most suitable for my taste (used to have the SR-80 many yrs back until i sold it) . . . but it was an open type (main reason why i sold my SR-80), so i wasn't really keen on getting it . . . i left the shop empty handed :(

after reading some more, the Sennheiser HD-25 seems to be a very good candidate . . . will drop by stereo again to test it out . . . maybe you can check it out as well

here's a review on the HD-25:

http://www.headfonia.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd-25-1/

the only gripe i'll probably have is that u can't fold it flat . . . but if i like the sound (and the price), i guess i can live with that :D

oh, and one more thing . . . the folks @ stereo are very friendly! :yes:

Edited by xtn32

@ abhiroopb - i'm on a lookout for a pair of cans as well, and i happen to stumble upon your thread . . . coincidentally, i happen to have almost exactly the same requirements as you :)

i went to stereo @ plaza sing earlier today and tried out the following:

- Denon AH-D2000

- Grado SR-80i

- Audio Technica ATH-ES55

initially, i had set my eyes on the ATH-ES55 after reading some reviews . . . however, i felt that the SR-80i was the most suitable for my taste (used to have the SR-80 many yrs back until i sold it) . . . but it was an open type (main reason why i sold my SR-80), so i wasn't really keen on getting it . . . i left the shop empty handed :(

after reading some more, the Sennheiser HD-25 seems to be a very good candidate . . . will drop by stereo again to test it out . . . maybe you can check it out as well

here's a review on the HD-25:

http://www.headfonia.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd-25-1/

the only gripe i'll probably have is that u can't fold it flat . . . but if i like the sound (and the price), i guess i can live with that :D

oh, and one more thing . . . the folks @ stereo are very friendly! :yes:

Are you looking for portable headphones or home headphones? If you are looking at the ES55, you might want to consider the ES7, ESW9. Or even the ESW10 and ES10 if your budget allows.

more or less, portables :) . . . tks for the suggestions . . . but hmmm, not sure if those models that you've mentioned will fit my $250 budget though :sweat:

Wow the Sennheiser HD-25 sounds EXACTLY what I am looking for.

Obviously portability is high on my list, but, the fact that it isolates sound so well is a great plus. It has decent bass and the sound is neutral. I'm not too finicky about the sound. I mean I want good sound obviously, but, once you're in the $200+ range it can't really be "bad" :P!

So, again thanks for the tip!

What price are they like here? Seem quite expensive. Also how old are they?

Which one do you recommend specifically?

There seem to be a number of variants to the Sennheiser HD 25.

Also I'd appreciate it if others could pitch in.

I've looked long and hard for a review of a headphone that matched what I had in mind and this REALLY fits the bill. Obviously I want to listen to it, but, I'd like some opinions on this please.

no worries mate! . . . i've just asked the stereo folks, no stocks for both the HD-25 and HS-25-SP . . . pricing-wise is $400 and $200 respectively . . . urrrggghhh, the HD-25 is out of my reach :(

after some more reading, seems like the HD-228 and HD-238 seem to suit our liking too . . .

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/sennhei...thought-429947/

probably can give these 2 a try as well . . . pricing-wise is $110 and $160 respectively . . . easier on the wallet, heh

Wow 400!! That is a little out of my range. 300 Would be max for me. Why is the 25-SP so much cheaper? What's the difference?

What about the HD 25-1-II? Or some such variants. I'll have a look and see if I can find the HD 25 for about 300.

They seem so very perfect!

Btw the 238 are open back so no isolation (or at least that's what reviews say!).

yeah, it's out of my budget too . . . the SP version is a lower grade . . . as for the II, may they're newer revisions?

anyway, i've asked the stereo folks . . . the 238 is sort of half open . . . it still offers isolation, but probably not as good as others . . . guess the only way to really find out is to try 'em cans, haha!

thanks for all the help folks! . . . i ended up with the audio-technica ath-es7 . . . i did read a couple of reviews about it . . . i didn't realize that it was within my budget, that's why i didn't test it before . . .

i fell in love with it the moment i tested it out @ stereo today! :D . . . and as a plus, it looks great too! . . . got it @ $248 . . . comes with a pair of plastic protection sheet (which was kindly & professionally pasted by the stereo staff) plus a headphone case

@ abhiroopb - you might wanna give this pair of cans a test drive, since both of us probably listen to the same music (i use some songs from Lighthouse Family to test head/earphones too, haha!)

cheers! :cans:

Edited by xtn32

Thanks for the update and tip!

In your opinion which was better the ATH or the Senn?

Having read the reviews I'm a little worried the ATH won't be as "punchy". Clearly the price is a factor.

Since I really only plan on spending ONCE for a really good pair of headphones I don't want to mess about and get something that I don't like. That's why this thread has become so long! I am really looking for the perfect one.

no worries mate! :)

I tried 2 Senns, the 448 and the 238 . . . i'm not really an expert, so i can't really go into details on describing them . . . in short, the ES7 better in terms of low, mids and highs . . . the bass on the 448 was a bit boomy, rather than punchy . . . the 238's mids and highs were not as good as the ES7 . . . i guess reading reviews online helps, but nothing beats going down and having a test drive yourself . . . i was there for like half an hour . . . luckily, the peeps @ stereo were pretty helpful :D

besides the sound, it looks great too! . . . and it comes with a free pair of plastic sheet protectors to cover the outer sides of the headphones (from fingerprints and scratches) . . . my only gripe is that the fitting is a tad tight . . . but i should be able to get used to it and it will probably follow the shape of my head after daily wear :D . . . i also like the way it folds flat, then slip it in the bundled cloth pouch and into my bag . . . oh, and since it's a closed can, i think it does a pretty good job isolating the outside noise . . . i used it straight away when i went home, taking the MRT . . . plus, i won't get those irritated looks from passengers seated/standing beside me as there's no sound leakage

initially, i didn't really pay attention to this model coz for some reason i thought it's a lot more expensive . . . i had my eyes on the ES55, which is more like a little brother . . . and was nicely priced

you can check out this long thread @ head-fi.org on the ES7 as well, might be helpful:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/officia...697/index2.html

i'm burning 'em cans now as we speak :cans: . . . can't wait to get them to reach their full potential!

Edited by xtn32