abhiroopb

Which headphone for a newb?

I was in SLS to have my sub-woofer and amplifier serviced and I thought I'd test out a few headphones.

I went in to a few shops and I could not find the Denon's anywhere. The vast majority were Audio Technic, Shure or Sennheiser.

I asked one guy in a shop for the Denon and he said that they tended to crackle at high volume. He pointed me to a pair of Ortofone's (can't remember the model name) around the ear headphones. They were going for SGD 190. But, he said they were primarily for DJ use. Is there a big difference if the headphones are for use by DJ's or for normal iPod use.

Anyway I tested them out and they sounded amazing. A nice thumping bass and clear vocals.

I tried out a few in-ear headphones. Honestly, I just didn't get that same head banging feeling (not that i planned on head banging in them). I put them on and while the sound was good, SLS is a noisy place and the Westone 1 did not block out all the sound very well. On the other hand the Ortofone around ear headphones completely blocked out all the sound (even when I wasn't actually playing any music). I also found the ear cushions really comfortable.

Overall I think I'd feel more comfortable wearing the around ear headphones for long durations rather than the in-ear ones.

So, after trying out both types I decided that I really want to get a nice pair of around ear headphones.

A few questions regarding this:

1. Could anyone point me to a shop where they might be selling Denon's (and where I could try them out).

2. Is there a major difference between headphones for DJ use and those for normal use?

3. Has anyone used/heard ortofone's?

I don't think I'll be buying a pair till at least january so I'd appreciate any more suggestions.

Thanks all!

a nice shop would be Jaben at adelphi, nice staff, plenty of headphones to try, and they tend to tell u to take ur time to try. although most of the time ppl get self poisoned and buy on the spot.

DJ and normal ipod headphones, not much of a diff i suppose. they all play music. =D

and ive heard of ortofones, never literally HEARD them so i wouldnt noe. but in any case, u dun rly have to bother about brands.

general rule of thumb : Does it sound good? Do you like it? Do you think its worth the money?

ALL YES, BUY IT!

Thanks for that Epicality.

From what I read it seems that generally they are purpose built for DJs so they have swivel ear peices, are more durable, have cords that coil and are better at keeping out sound.

All of which are useful to a DJ, but, I think they would be equally useful for outdoor use (i.e. with a lot of noise). Durability also seems to be a bonus.

Unfortunately, I couldn't really tell if the headphones sounded good or not in the 5-10 mins I spent listening to them. What impressed me was the clear bass and the fact that it blocked out the noise at SLS. I haven't been able to find too many reviews on them and that's what scares me.

Having said that the price was good.

I guess next stop is Adelphi!

Here is my knowledge about DJ headphones

They tend to have a very flat(note: do not mix up with balance) frequency response.

They usually are closed back to have the maximum isolation.

Usually uses coiled cables, so that they can move about with more slacks at the cable.

They are similar to a certain extent with monitoring headphone, just that monitoring headphones can be opened and uses standard straight cables.

The colours of the frame and the cups are usually quite flashy, I may be generalizing, but thats usually the case.

Here is my knowledge about DJ headphones

They tend to have a very flat(note: do not mix up with balance) frequency response.

They usually are closed back to have the maximum isolation.

Usually uses coiled cables, so that they can move about with more slacks at the cable.

They are similar to a certain extent with monitoring headphone, just that monitoring headphones can be opened and uses standard straight cables.

The colours of the frame and the cups are usually quite flashy, I may be generalizing, but thats usually the case.

So, would it be disadvantageous to buy a pair?

You're information is exactly correct. That is exactly what the ortofon headphones looked like.

So, would it be disadvantageous to buy a pair?

You're information is exactly correct. That is exactly what the ortofon headphones looked like.

Since it was design to use in loud environment like pubs, I believe it should be able to provide you with the isolation level that you are satisfied with, as concurred by your impression few posts ago when you tried them at sls. Isolation- ok.

Then again, I believe the cables would be a big hassle if you intend to use it on the go. Coil cables are very irritating, unless you intend to buy and recable them or something along those lines of replacing them.

And there is nothing wrong in liking a monitoring headphone.

The akg k702 that I personally own was marketed as a monitoring headphone, but I don't use it for that purpose.

As long as you like the sound, and you can use it for long period with it being comfortable, then it should be okay as long as you like it.

Though its kinda weird recommending none-main stream headphones.. what matters most is that you like it.

Edited by :: Chicky ::

Thanks for the info. What is the problem with a coiled cable? I ask because I've obviously never owned headphones with such a cable and I'd like to know. Thanks

Thanks for the info. What is the problem with a coiled cable? I ask because I've obviously never owned headphones with such a cable and I'd like to know. Thanks

Its usually very long and uncomfortable to be use in portable.

The materials of the internal wires should be the same.

I'm going to go to some headphone stores armed with my iPod to test a few out. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what kind of songs would help test the effective range of the headphones.

For example, I like to use Ain't No Sunshine (Lighthouse Family) to test bass response as most poor quality headphone/speakers start to crackle about 10-15secs into the song.

Most hip-hop songs have a lot of bass, but, are there any songs that would be a good way to test the bass, mid and treble?

Thanks!

No need to patronise so many shops..

Jaben, Stereo electronics.. choose one and just get the headphone you want..

After entering the audio world.. I do not go to other places like challenger.. sls.. et cetera places to get my audio stuff =,=

I find the lack of any mention to iGrado quite surprising, especially when rock music is mentioned.

I personally used it during commuting as well, and only found them to be leaking too much when in a quiet room/place, like a library.

I find the lack of any mention to iGrado quite surprising, especially when rock music is mentioned.

I personally used it during commuting as well, and only found them to be leaking too much when in a quiet room/place, like a library.

Tried and I don't think the igrado can isolate well..

I don't actually intend to go to numerous shops. But, I want to try out quite a few headphones. So, I was hoping to have a small playlist of songs to try out the full range of the headphone.

Hey guys! haha new to this forum here! i wouldnt wanna post a double topic asking bout headphones so i'm posting it here, hope the author of this topic doesnt mind .

I am currently looking for headphones as well, mainly portable for outside use, and my house is also very noisy(near main road) any recommendations besides shure 440?? budget is 100 - 150 but hopefully cap it at 130, but i will be willing to pay a bit higher for a better quality one.

hope to hear you guys recommendations soon! will be going down jaben tmr or thursday to buy it!

righty, off to mugging for test.. ):