Sign in to follow this  
neutralzz

Another POST tube amp

Good case work..It looks it need a lot of measuring and drilling work to do..

Yes..Looks like the tube and socket don't come cheap and easy..

The resistors looks big size for higher wattage..

So the schematics is for one stage amplification for one channel? Rectifying to DC required from transformer?

The amp have 4 transformer, and the five tubes..So it is just series the different amplification stages? Drive speaker driver just for testing?

Sorry newbie here..

its a power amp thats why there are so many parts etc.. i.e 1 rectifier tube, 2 output tubes (2A3), and 2 pre-amp tubes i.e c3g.. was using a random speaker driver to test the amp..

the schematics i gave is 1 stage amplification for one channel, for headphone or pre-amp. yes, rectifying to DC is required from transformer, depending whether you are using tube or diode rectification.. usually diode bridge rectification is cheap and usable.

Guest jacj6049

hi expert in tube!!!i always want to build a warm ,wide sound stage diy tube amp,sure i dun wanna use exotic parts,cos wanna build it at low cost,it is possible?it will be best if can get all parts in koba or SLT,so any good suggest for me?

thanks,

hi expert in tube!!!i always want to build a warm ,wide sound stage diy tube amp,sure i dun wanna use exotic parts,cos wanna build it at low cost,it is possible?it will be best if can get all parts in koba or SLT,so any good suggest for me?

thanks,

hi, i'm not an expert, i just meddle around in my free time.

it actually depends on which cans you are driving, i.e. your estimated impedance etc.

it is cheaper to go OTL, but that is only good for high impedance cans. however the only OTL design that i've come across good for low impedances is the 6C33, that is picking up in popularity right now, i.e. almarro 318B, graaf-20 using them OTL to drive speakers, zana deux too, uses 6c33 for cans. i might build one soon for the fun of it, however use of the 6c33 will require special sockets that allow for anode cooling (thats why you see most 6c33 amps have elevated sockets platforms)

for your requirements of warm, and wide sound stage, i would think the 6922 would be a good candidate for you to build on, you can take a look at the morgan jones (its on headwize), however it requires a large output cap coupling, that you are limited to using electrolytics unless you're loaded to go for big film ones.

the POST tubes are more neutral sounding (based on what i hear using it as a pre-amp, no cans used yet for audition), the highs are more transient and transparent, but these tubes can be quite glaring in revealing inferior recordings, its not so much like the 12ax7 or 6922 that "mellows" a little, making most recordings more listenable.

dude, you have any loose c3gs or c3ms pairs. Don't mind keeping a pair :P

actually i dont get mine from jac music

i have friends in germany so they source for me, the price they get it at is actually a fraction of the online price

in singapore so far i only saw aural designs starting to pick up post tube amps, i.e. i saw a c3m pre-amp a couple of weeks ago, but generally not that many people in singapore use them.

the other hard to get thing is the socket, which is loctal, and not octal, i get either the NOS siemens one or in my latest shipment cheap ones from china which are a few dollars each

another challenging thing about all tube amps is just eliminating hum.. and some solutions can be pricey...

dude, you have any loose c3gs or c3ms pairs. Don't mind keeping a pair :P

oops, didnt see this earlier..

i actually have just enough for my own projects i.e. 4 pairs etc..

if i happen to get my friend to send more over next time, i'll let you know. ;)

no probs, thanks bro...

oops, didnt see this earlier..

i actually have just enough for my own projects i.e. 4 pairs etc..

if i happen to get my friend to send more over next time, i'll let you know. ;)