deathg0d

B22 Casework Modifications!

Impressions:

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=10520&st=15#

Finally!!!!!

22/12/2009 B22 was completed!!! After 5 long months of planning, fabrications and improvements, i thnk i am proud to present you everyone here a B22 builded fully in Singapore. Not sure if i am the first but i think i will be the first to complete a 5 channels here.

i would like to express my gratitudes to my partner and friend who provided and aided me with his excellent soldering and electronic skills, where i did the part in designing, sourcing, fabrications and technical researches which by working together we are able to make this project a big success :D

here are some brief techincal highlights and the feel of a fully balanced setup ;D

B22:

5 channels build

DACT CT2 24 steps potentiometer

Mundorf solders and wires hook up

Canare wires

Amphenol and Neutrik connectors

Switchcraft power connects

Bulgin buttons

Otto 2:1 switch

Integrated o24/e24 solid state transformer and circuit switch

Thermal sensors to prevent overheating

Some initial impressions of the following setup Macbook>TOSlink>DA11>B22>Balance K702 (2000+hours)

my live recorded tracks from various concert cds sounded incredible, soundstage is jaw dropping huge with a very 3D presentation. B22 has a very black background even at high volume and each instruments can be distinguish very very easily. however i have not really heard a full balance setup before so when A/B ing balance and unbalance, the presentation are the former will have the singer more upfront and personal feel while the latter will have a more laid back big hall feel.

the soundstage and imaging of the balance setup are seriously stunning, there are so much air and i can hear the decay of each note slowly fading away. B22 is really a power beast, it is the first time i can feel the bass from K702, some may still not be satisfied with what K702 can give in the bass, but to me, i find it to be very faithfully reproduce. i cannot imagine how K1000 will perform and will be very tempted to get my hands on a pair if my wallet allows me to after this project :P

i will provide more impressions after giving my b22 more run time, for now here are some pictures of the unit.

IPB ImageIPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

Edited by deathg0d

Wow! :clunk: (sound of jaw dropping on the floor). Great work. Love that front panel too, where did you get it done?

front panel and case are fab by a cnc company after much very hard persuasion

How much hurt to your wallet was the persuasion? :))

Well done. Wonder how much it cost in total to build this Power Tank? Any chance of mass production??

this unit definitely cost alot, however, i can build for anyone who is interested at a fee. it will sure be lower then building it from oversea, however, b22 major cost will still be at it cases unless there is more then 3 pieces then i can nego with the cnc to get cheaper pricing.

currently a dude has already requested me to build a 3 channel separate psu and i am working out a cost for him :))

this unit definitely cost alot, however, i can build for anyone who is interested at a fee. it will sure be lower then building it from oversea, however, b22 major cost will still be at it cases unless there is more then 3 pieces then i can nego with the cnc to get cheaper pricing.

currently a dude has already requested me to build a 3 channel separate psu and i am working out a cost for him :))

Quote me the price for a 3 channel Balance/SE plus 3 channel dedicated PSU complete. Planning to pair this with a K1000.

Await your PM.

Edited by OutdoorXplorer

Quote me the price for a 3 channel Balance/SE plus 3 channel dedicated PSU complete. Planning to pair this with a K1000.

Await your PM.

hi bro i think you are not very sure about b22 channels setup relations, thus for the benefits of anyone who are not sure i will give a brief explanations here

b22 channels configs are used in this few ways.

3 channels

left,right and active ground - thus this is know as single ended or unbalanced

4 channels

left +, left -, right +, right - - can be config to use a passive ground with any two of the boards to work in SE/unbalanced mode.

5 channels

left +, left -, right +, right - and active ground - same as 4 channels but the ground utilize a board which amb would recommend as from his specs, active grounding is better then passive grounding.

6 channels

it is actually two 3 channels config and that is why a 6 channels can drive 2 SE headphones at the same time. by wiring up the left +, left -, right +, right - channels, it became a balance setup. thus this is also why some people would feel that a 6 channels b22 is an overkill.

now do you get the picture on the relationship between the b22 and balance wiring of a headphone?

and as usual, the more the channels are being required, the more the cost will go up in every way from casing, balance volume pot etc.

having a separate psu casing is because it will remove humming due to electronics interferences from the toriods if house within the same box as the box.

Edited by deathg0d