Sign in to follow this  
beetlez

Apple Airport Express Owners

Can anyone share your experience using Apple Airport Express to stream music from MAC/PC to home stereo?

Thanks.

Hi,

I had one before. There is a review on the Stereophile site.

http://stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/505apple/

I can confirm what was said. The analog output is not bad but you will ned a DAC to get the most out of it. Depending on the DAC, you may miss the first seconds of a song as with my MF Trivista DAC-21. At the end of the day, I had fun with it. But since I use CD's instead of downloads, there was little benefits to keep it.

The Apple TV is something you may want to consider also.

Jacques

Hi,

I had one before. There is a review on the Stereophile site.

http://stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/505apple/

I can confirm what was said. The analog output is not bad but you will ned a DAC to get the most out of it. Depending on the DAC, you may miss the first seconds of a song as with my MF Trivista DAC-21. At the end of the day, I had fun with it. But since I use CD's instead of downloads, there was little benefits to keep it.

The Apple TV is something you may want to consider also.

Jacques

Thanks for the link. As for Apple TV, guess the price is alittle steep. I'm not so into watching video with this gadget, but I'm interested in getting digital audio out.

I'm thinking of investing into Apple Airport Express, price is not too bad, but read some mix reviews on it. Some say the connection breaks, and some got intermittent breaks. But there are some who got it up and running without any problems.

I'm interested to get a 2nd hand one to try, but hard to find it.

If there is a 2nd hand Apple TV, I'm in for it too.

I'm using an apple TV out to a DAC streamed from my mac, no intermittent skip or what so ever. It's better investing on an apple TV since it's price have been slashed by half.

I'm using an apple TV out to a DAC streamed from my mac, no intermittent skip or what so ever. It's better investing on an apple TV since it's price have been slashed by half.

Arrghh.. you are poisoning my mind...

Now I'm getting interested. Can I confirmed that your music library is in your iMac and the music is stream wifi to the apple tv device which has optical audio out to your amp?

Can the music library be stored into apple tv itself and play direct from apple tv without the iMac?

If music are stored in the apple tv, does it sync with the iMac (or PC in my case) as well as sync with iPhone?

Apple TV is quite an expensive investment, airport express is more affordable for me.

Surfing some of the site also makes me worried about the "fate" for apple tv product line. Not sure is Apple interested venturing deeper into this product line. Could apple tv be on it end of life cycle soon?

Now I'm getting interested. Can I confirmed that your music library is in your iMac and the music is stream wifi to the apple tv device which has optical audio out to your amp?

Can the music library be stored into apple tv itself and play direct from apple tv without the iMac?

If music are stored in the apple tv, does it sync with the iMac (or PC in my case) as well as sync with iPhone?

Apple TV is quite an expensive investment, airport express is more affordable for me.

Surfing some of the site also makes me worried about the "fate" for apple tv product line. Not sure is Apple interested venturing deeper into this product line. Could apple tv be on it end of life cycle soon?

Yes the apple TV can both be streamed or stored inside it's internal HDD and played without a mac. An iPhone can works as a wireless remote through wifi, it won't sync with your iPhone library.

Yes the apple TV can both be streamed or stored inside it's internal HDD and played without a mac. An iPhone can works as a wireless remote through wifi, it won't sync with your iPhone library.

An iPod Touch can also be a remote. Both will do fine.

Isn't it a fun hobby (but sometimes expensive)? Yes the music can be streamed from an iMac or any authorized computers running iTunes. It also can come from the local HD in the Apple TV.

Is it at the end of it's life cycle? Who knows.

An iPod Touch can also be a remote. Both will do fine.

Isn't it a fun hobby (but sometimes expensive)? Yes the music can be streamed from an iMac or any authorized computers running iTunes. It also can come from the local HD in the Apple TV.

Is it at the end of it's life cycle? Who knows.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm inclined to Airport Express. Most likely to get one to try. If anyone wants to sell your Airport Express please let me know.

Many thanks!

For the money an Airport Express is great. I've had one for a few years and it works fine.

I might get a dropout/error once every six months. Other than that - perfect. iPod touch/iphone can be used as a remote.

be careful tho as they don't like connecting to some routers over wireless. I have used one with a D-Link, Netgear and Apple router with no problems tho.

Great stuff, would like to refresh this thread. Apple has just announced a new AppleTV at USD99. Still can't see it on the Sg apple site but I'm definitely getting it as a 2nd link to stream multi-media.

The new AppleTV is even more versatile than Airport Extreme as it not only streams music but videos, photos etc. Can't wait for its arrival to complement my exisiting AppleTV.

I am currently streaming wifi from Aiport Express to dac with iTunes and Remote to control. It's a wonderfully simple and cheap solution to stream music around. I did have some dropouts before but it turned out to be a faulty optical cable. Now I want to run a second system but with the new AppleTV with at a lower price, I wonder if Apple will drop the price of AE or just discontinue it.

I am currently streaming wifi from Aiport Express to dac with iTunes and Remote to control. It's a wonderfully simple and cheap solution to stream music around. I did have some dropouts before but it turned out to be a faulty optical cable. Now I want to run a second system but with the new AppleTV with at a lower price, I wonder if Apple will drop the price of AE or just discontinue it.

My opinion is just go for the appleTV solution, in case you have videos to stream next time. Till now, its still not available in Sg Apple Store :think: