Torquelover

Recommendation for Home Rig

When you have a good computer transport and a good DAC, the difference between using a computer as a source and a CDP as source may be quite subtle. My computer has an Asus Xonar D2X with digital output through a VDH Digicoupler coaxial cable. When I had my Stello DA100, the difference between coaxial input from the computer and optical input from a cheap portable CDP were minor, but the portable CDP had the edge in soundstaging and had a hint more clarity. I hear the same improvements with my Cambridge Audio 840C; coaxial input is not as good as pure CDP mode, but it doesn't lose that badly. In fact, my 840C is used as a DAC most of the time as I'm slowly but surely building up my CD collection.

There's no question that a good CDP or a good DAC can eat iMods for breakfast though, and maybe even lunch and dinner.

That has eased me quite a fair bit, as I've yet to really venture into the CDP path. Being short of physical space, CDs and cold hard cash. :cry: Hence I've decided to freeze developments on my equipments and simply enjoy what I have currently.

Though now I'm curious in how my DacMagic stacks up to the Stello DAC. Hmmmmm....

Edited by Whenesday

If i remember correctly, the DT990 was semi open, while HD650 and K701 are fully open.

Went to audition some of the above mentioned full headphones this afternoon. Was impressed by the DT990 and bought it :)) The main thing I like about the DT880 is that I can still enjoy bass even at low volume. Happy man now :cans:

The hunt is still not over for the CDP :no:

Edited by Torquelover

Went to audition some of the above mentioned full headphones this afternoon. Was impressed by the DT990 and bought it :)) The main thing I like about the DT880 is that I can still enjoy bass even at low volume. Happy man now :cans:

The hunt is still not over for the CDP :no:

Looks like you got the same choices as mine.. :grin:

CDP you may go down to Adelphi to have a good listen..

What ical recommended should be a great choice..

On last headphone meet I was impressed by the sound of Astin Trew..

Looks like you got the same choices as mine.. :grin:

CDP you may go down to Adelphi to have a good listen..

What ical recommended should be a great choice..

On last headphone meet I was impressed by the sound of Astin Trew..

May I know where should I go to to audition "Astin Trew" CDP?

After much research, I am down to 2 options

1. Wadia i170 + Stello DA100 DAC. CD ripped using iTunes via Apple Loseless.

2. Cambridge 840c CDP

May I know which will be a better option in terms of SQ?

As a DAC fed from my computer via coaxial, the 840C is a little clearer and has a wider and more open soundstage. The DA100 is warmer though. The DA100 is still a fantastic DAC for the price and comes highly recommended from me if you are looking for a DAC alone.

After much research, I am down to 2 options

1. Wadia i170 + Stello DA100 DAC. CD ripped using iTunes via Apple Loseless.

2. Cambridge 840c CDP

May I know which will be a better option in terms of SQ?

Research alone is not enough. You've to audition them as well to know which suit you better.

Research alone is not enough. You've to audition them as well to know which suit you better.

I agree with Cal on this one. :thumbup:

I remember a 4k CDP which even w/ good reviews wasn't as good as the Astin Trew CDP (to my taste that is). You really have to audition. Adelphi is a good place to start the trek. :smoke:

"Live Long and Prosper!" :party:

Edited by jojo_b2

As a DAC fed from my computer via coaxial, the 840C is a little clearer and has a wider and more open soundstage. The DA100 is warmer though. The DA100 is still a fantastic DAC for the price and comes highly recommended from me if you are looking for a DAC alone.

Thanks to all for your valuable inputs. I auditioned some of the above kits this afternoon and settled on the Stello CDT100 + DA100 S. Cant wait to get home to try them out. :cans:

The Stello combo is a great set! But try not to put the CD transport on top of the DAC as the DAC gets very hot. My colleague finds that using a good digital XLR cable for his Stello stack is better than the provided I2S cable, so you may want to try that out.