Sign in to follow this  
beetlez

Replace IPOD Classic Harddisk

Anyone has tried replacing IPOD Classic harddisk?

My friend's ipod classic cannot be switch on, it has got a tick - tick sound when power up.

Think the harddisk has crashed.

Anyone knows whether is it possible to DIY?

buy a replacement harddisk online and get someone to replace for u. the ipod classic 6th gen/ 7th gen are very hard to open.

if u cant go online, try to get a cheap spoilt ipod of the same kind and transfer over.

on another note, it may not be the harddisk at fault here, since the ipod would definitely boot up, display turns on and tell u the harddisk has a problem, with a sad ipod face or folder.

my IPOD does not have the sad face.

It has a big red sign that is circle with a slash across.

Is there any successful DIY case that anyone can share their experience?

just hijack the thread for a while, is it possible to change the ipod battery... my ipod 5 gen battery life can only last for 3 hours now.

just hijack the thread for a while, is it possible to change the ipod battery... my ipod 5 gen battery life can only last for 3 hours now.

Yes.

Slightly OT, but I'm quite tempted to pick up a 2nd-hand iPod, just to get the experience of opening it up.

Yes.

Slightly OT, but I'm quite tempted to pick up a 2nd-hand iPod, just to get the experience of opening it up.

if u do. pick up an iPod video 5th gen or 5.5th gen. try not get the classic as its very hard to pry open due to additional hinge clips inside.

i see, any place to get the replacement parts?

I don't have links handy, but for iPod-specific parts, Google. Have seen quite a few sites selling.

For battery, check out worcell.com. They're local, and my experience (3 batteries) with them so far has been decent.

For the 1.8" HDD, can scavenge around Sim Lim or Funan laptop repair shops. They take the HDD out of dead laptops to sell separately. Google works as well, but you'll need to take a little risk, especially if you try eBay.