Sign in to follow this  
radioactive28

Polarity for user-replaceable cables

Users of customs, UEs and Etys,

Is there a 'polarity' for custom cables or the Westone/UE replacement cables, i.e., are the ground and signal pins indicated?

Any problems if you reverse the polarity when plugging into the driver module, and incidentally, is signal/ground indicated on the driver modules as well?

I'm expecting my Ety ER4 to come in soon, thinking of modding for using over-the-ears.

For my ES2 cable, there is a blue and red dot on the pins. You are supposed to plug them in such a way that the dot faces up.

i doubt there will be damage if you mess up. if you switch the two i think the driver will move in the opposite direction from what its intended to (because electricity is flowing the wrong way)...meaning the music may sound weird hahaha as duck said.

in any case, where are you going to get the ety cable adaptors to mod? i dont think theres a thrid party version.. if you find one do tell me as i really wanna recable my etys :blush:

Thanks, everyone, I just realised the answer as well just now.

There's no problem with the directions, because the impedance is in series, but there will be a chance that the two sides are anti-phase.

Anyway, with regards to the modding, got the link for this eBay store from dle4e_2005, found out the store is selling custom cable for ER4, as well as adaptor w/o cable.

Realised then that the resistance is actually in the original cable, so it might be possible to DIY using the Westone/UE replacement cables and soldering on resistors. Possible, but I might not try, depends on how adventurous I'm feeling when my ER4 arrives :P

The eBay store is selling the adaptor at a pretty reasonable price, I suppose, but I'm cheap :P

Edited by radioactive28

for etys, one of the pins is slightly larger than the other, so there is little confusion about the polarity

Did notice that, but the driver modules themselves don't seem to indicate which pin goes into which hole (because Ety didn't mean for them to be user-changeable; anybody care to verify this?), so I assume the end result will still be trial-and-error.

Easy solution is probably to make a marking on the module before disconnecting the original cable.

Edited by radioactive28

anybody tried comparing the polarity for whiplash audio cables?

I just plugged them in with the dots facing up like my stock ES cable, didn't experiment with different orientations.

anybody tried comparing the polarity for whiplash audio cables?

Did a check on mine, the signal pins are the one closer to the colour dots.