Sign in to follow this  
Torquelover

Distortion from iTunes

Got a decent (within my budget) setup of headphone AMP (with DAC) and DT990 headphones. Before I get a CDP (the hunt is still on), I am using my PC as the CD transport.

However, with the "better" system plug in, I find distortion when I play the music from iTunes (rip using AIFF). Even if I play the CD directly from iTunes, the distortion is still there. Using PC USD out.

However, when I play the CD via my DVD player + headphone AMP & DT990, no distortion was observed. :rclxub:

Did I setup the PC & iTune wrongly? Thanks

Did you upsample your optical out?

Notice that the sound is totally different if I play the CD through Windows Media Player with NO distortion at all. I have double checked iTunes and there is no special setting (I am using iTunes 10.x). For once, Windows is performing better than Apple (no flames please) :blink:

Under Vista, I have set USB Audio DAC to be default, sampling at 16 bits 44.1kHz (CD quality). There must be something running and messing between iTunes to USD Audio out. :angry:

Stupid me. Pulling my hair out. Looks like I belong to the CDP generation, just drop in a CD and play :lol:

Found the problem.. :DD Apparently, iTunes by default turns the equalizer on. Just by turning off the equalizer, the distortion goes away. The music is now the same as from Windows. :))

The equaliser can be found in

View -> Show Equaliser. Ensure the check box is off.

Please dont laugh at me :blush:

Did you upsample your optical out?

Must learn about digital audio from you guys. I still belong to the LP and CD generation :sweat: In other words, I am from the "You mean the drawer in the CDP is not a cup holder!" :lol:

@TS

IMO, wav lossless sounds better than alac :)

He's not using alac. AIFF is the same as wav, more commonly used on mac due to fcp, logic studio etc.

Must learn about digital audio from you guys. I still belong to the LP and CD generation :sweat: In other words, I am from the "You mean the drawer in the CDP is not a cup holder!" :lol:

If possible get a dac with optical in instead since mac comes with optical out/in nowadays which gives better latency.