Sign in to follow this  
neutralzz

Valve Amps : Component Discussion

This thread is mainly for discussion on valve amps, circuits and the components of analog circuits

topics to be discussed will include boutique components, such as resistors, capacitors etc, and the rational side of things :)~

Resistors -> what are the boutique resistors on the market?

Carbon composite resistors -> arcol, NOS allen bradley. these resistors have low precision, i.e. you have to buy 10-20 to match a couple of pairs yourself, but they are the very best/most preferred by many in the signal path. this is because carbon composite is not like the long film in metal film etc that can result in distortion and noise with increasing resistance values. they function best as grid suppressor resistors typically in my opinion.

Carbon film resistors -> Kiwame, Riken etc.. note!! kiwame, although are very precise resistors, have magnetic end caps!!! terrible! i stripped out and threw out most of kiwames out of my work when i found them magnetic, which in turns become inductive. (plus kiwame is quite identical looking... to koa speer... so i wonder if.. they are really different...). riken resistors are conneisseur stuff, having gold plated leads, and very well loved by many audio diyers. they have composite types too.

Metal film resistors -> Takman, Holco, Caddock. excellent resistors, but the newer batches of NOS holco on the market have magnetic end caps, you can use a magnet to probe quite easily.. i've a couple of vintage integrated amps which use predominantly holco resistors through out. a good choice on the cathode, typically caddock, which is known to give good tight bass.

Wirewound resistors -> mills, dale, etc typically used for high wattage purposes, i.e. 50W.. wirewound and non inductive.. they are the best as plate resistors and anode loads.

tantalum resistors -> only known to be used by Audionote japan in their premium amplifiers. Shinkoh resistors ceased production over a decade plus ago. it was believed that the use of such resistors gave kondo audionote amplifiers, some of the shindo labs amplifiers etc.. the special sound. nowadays, audionote manufactures their own tantalum resistors at abt SGD $20+ per piece. some NOS shinkoh resistors can still be obtained from stockists world wide. these resistors are quite my all time favourite in DIY usage.

Criteria for a good resistor, is that it must first be non inductive, from the end caps, to the leads. else when it carries alternating current, there will be undesirable effects on sound. use a magnet and check yours today! minimize ultra high resistance usages if possible for metal film resistors, the higher the resistance, the more noise as well.

Allen bradley resistors

IPB Image

Shinkoh resistors

IPB Image

examples of 0.5w, 1w, and 2w

Good thread..it is so cold here..

Didn't realize that resistor do affect the sound signature..I though that as long as it is accurate it will be fine..

So what is the type for those Sim Lim Tower resistors?

You may add in potential meter into the list.. :D