Muzzi

From an ety lover: Recommend please!

Hi guys, im pretty new to the forum here. Been playing with portable for some time and finally came to my perfect rig (Etys ER4B + Secret Amp) which imo is the best for classical of all the iem and amp combis barring customs..

So now i wanna go desktop. I have a budget of $750, can get an audiogd compass+K701, or a low-end stax setup (most probably stax basic system II, 2050/212). The question is which of these should i get? I dont have a DAC yet, but can get one the following month should i go for stax...

I listen to classical mostly, strings, chamber and opera and i value detail, clarity, an involving midrange and extended treble over bass, bass and more bass. Hence the love for etys.I might have opened can of worms here but id love some nudges in the right direction.

Also, i posted this on headfi. And i have no way to audition stax.

OH and if anyone wants to let go of a stax system at around my budget feel free to pm me

From my experience, people who love ER4s love Stax as well. The K701 is nice, but I have a feeling you'll be happier with the Stax. Entry level Stax systems start as low as U$300 for a Lambda + SRD7 combo that was sold on Head-Fi recently.

ah thanks! I see you have much experience with stax as well, from your head-fi account. Would you say theyre good for classical?

In any case, is the Basic System II (SR2020/SRM212) a good deal? I'd prefer not to ship stuff in, and i have no feedback on headfi so its a bit difficult to deal overseas...

Stax SRD-7 is a Normal Bias adapter which require an integrated or power amp to power.

it better for you to get a normal Stax amp.

I don't know the price of Stax 2050/212. That could be a good start IMO.

oh kidult! I was just about to pm you about this! Darn.

So i cant get the vintage setups (not that anyones selling em locally) as i dont have anything even remotely resembling a speaker amp. Guess ill spring for the 2050s, but again, noones selling em used locally =(

I'd expect them to cost upwards of 1k, while my budget is only .75k. sigh

i suggest you save up a little more to get Stax 2050/212 new :grin:

or you may consider buying used amp & earspeaker separately...

and...if you want to audition Stax... :smoke:

there are few nice guys most property welcome you if you dont mind to travel :innocent:

Edited by kidult

hmm but noone is selling either (amp nor earspeaker) locally! Sad.

I don't mind travelling, know anyone who might want to give me an audition?

EDIT: the stax adaptors cant be used with either a headphone amp OR a preamp right? only speaker amps will do?

Edited by Muzzi

I could be wrong. if your headphone amp come with speakers jack yes. but I doubt that have sufficient power to drive...:think:

u can come over my place up to the North for audition. just PM me.

Edited by kidult