kidult

Vinyl camp

After reading good reviews about the Origin Live Upgrade Mat, decided to give it a try. It is available at http://www.modularaudio.com.sg

I was advised to used the OL mat directly on the platter itself, but this does not work well with my Technic's platter since it has a lip on the outer ring of the platter. The OL mat does not sit properly on the platter and it sounded bad.

So I did several combinations, using the Technics stock rubber mat and the OL upgrade mat (with the VTA adjusted accordingly; the OL mat is 1mm thick):

Rubber mat + OL mat on top

Ruber mat + OL mat below

Rubber mat reversed side + OL mat on top

Rubber mat reversed side + OL mat below

But did not like any of the combinations above...I still preferred the Technics stock rubber mat alone.

So, I thought I had just wasted my moolahs on this purchase, until I noticed the Technics DJ slip mat that came with the turntable when I purchased it, which I have chucked aside. So decided to give it a try...

And walah...finally found a combination that improves on the stock rubber mat, with the OL mat on top of the slipmat. Sounds like an unlikely combination, but it works, at least according to my ears:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by Kachui

interesting mat. it does made a different then :think:

maybe KDS5000 should give OL a try since he doesn't like the Rega mat much.

OL mat too thin. Don't think it sound good directly on top of the glass platter.

And using it on top of the Rega mat would mean that I'd have to keep the stupid Rega mat... :rclxub:

Thinking of trying a cork mat... :grin:

OL mat too thin. Don't think it sound good directly on top of the glass platter.

And using it on top of the Rega mat would mean that I'd have to keep the stupid Rega mat... :rclxub:

Thinking of trying a cork mat... :grin:

do you missed SC-1's mid bro ? :drool:

forget about the cork mat. you MUST go try the OL mat!!!!!!

A bunch of LPs just came in:

IPB ImageIPB Image

The nirvana looks tempting. :think:

Wah! Shopping spree. Nice collection bro. :thumbup:

Jojo, what are you waiting for!! :bash: Look towards the light. :innocent: Don't be like Eric who is still living in the cave. :whistle::grin:

Edited by ical

Wow :doh: ...just realized the copy of Pink Floyd's DSOTM I bought way back during my school days (and still in mint condition) was actually a Japan "Pro-Use Series" copy...said to be the best of all the pressings out there...and worth a pretty sum too... :grin:

IPB Image

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=136168

http://www.audiophileusa.com/item.cfm?reco...4362&c=1&kw=Pop

Got hold of this old Audio Technica stabilizer (AT-618) ...looks crappy but it is just a weight...so works fine.

This 600 grams stabilizer helps the lows in my system go deeper and tame the shrillness of some records.

IPB Image

IPB Image

This is interesting...But in German <_<

Hey hey... they're using the EMT 950 for testing/verifying the quality of the pressed LPs.. :lust: