cmk

Voltage swings

Does anyone know if voltage swings will cause tube equipment to hum?

I've been told that the voltage at night goes up quite a bit. Would solid state equipment be less susceptible to hum in these situations?

I am no expert but it seems hum comes from the nature of AC. If the signal wiring is not routed carefully, it is possible for the AC to induce DC current in signal wiring which will cause the hum. Other causes are ground loops. Google the term to read more about it.

Get a power conditioner and it'll solve all your problem. Clear and stable power is the source of good sound.

Edited by ical

Got the problem fixed while I was in SG last week. TS Lim just tapped the right setting (6v) for the tubes and its now silent.

Got back to Shanghai and plugged in the AT W100 and enjoying the music. :cans:

The Denon D7k has been a revelation in their detail retrieval, and very beautiful sounding through the Cyber 30. Gonna try swapping around to see how it sounds through the Diva.

Get a power conditioner and it'll solve all your problem. Clear and stable power is the source of good sound.

I am in Guangzhou, and owned a power conditioner, but I still experience tremendous swings.

there was once, I had such a bad one that more player "hang", cannot stop, cannot play or fast forward.

Which conditioner are you using? Most budget version doesn't regulate voltage. So far I find that the best is still isolation transformer conditioner for unstable voltage.

Edited by ical

Which conditioner are you using? Most budget version doesn't regulate voltage. So far I find that the best is still isolation transformer conditioner for unstable voltage.

any idea how an isolation trans power conditional regulates unstable voltage?

i had once attributed hum and noise to the poor old electrical wirings in my old home and had considered to get a 1:1 isolation trans before, but never got around getting it

any idea how an isolation trans power conditional regulates unstable voltage?

i had once attributed hum and noise to the poor old electrical wirings in my old home and had considered to get a 1:1 isolation trans before, but never got around getting it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_regulator

Most budget conditioner use only filters which constraint power. That's why amp lack dynamic when connect to some of these conditioners.

think most power conditioners are just isolation tranny with some caps and passive components, the best is to get power plant!! regenerate the waves and voltage..