abhiroopb

Make the most out of my Asus Xonar Essence STX

Hi all, with your help I have purchased a pair of Westone 2 IEMs and now I need your help making the most out of my soundcard and speakers.

Firstly my speaker set-up:

Space Audio 2.0 Satellite Speakers

JBL Power20 Amplifier

KOK Subwoofer - 16Hz - 160Hz, 6.5", 30W (RMS) 60W (Max)

Sound Card – Asus Xonar Essence STX

(more details of my set-up can be found here)

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and using MediaMonkey as my primary media player. I have tried FooBar but even after spending hours on it, the customisation was just overwhelming. MediaMonkey does all that I need and does it quite well actually!

Anyway, I have been reading about how ASIO output is good for high-end sound cards, and I need help making it work.

From, the MediaMonkey website I downloaded a DLL file that allows me to use the ASIO output and I switched MM to use this, however I was wondering if you guys could lend me your years of wisdom and help me get the most out of my system.

What type of things should I be looking at?

ASIO should be for XP. Since you are using windows 7, look for WASAPI plugin. When your ASIO/WASAPI is working, you shouldn't be able to change your volume via windows control panel when you are playing via your MM/foobar.

I am having no problem with foobar, it is only a simple music player. Only troublesome thing is any feature you will have to download another dll

Is it exclusive or does it allow other sounds?

I tried foobar and I know it is customisable but I wasn't too happy with the options overall.

Actually I really like the way iTunes allows you to view the library and playlists on the side and the Genre, Artist and Albums along the top. This is a view that is easily replicated in MM (without skins). If you could point me towards a Foobar skin that looks like that (and is relatively easy to customise) I wouldn't mind giving it a go. I do remember trying out an iTunes skin that just did not work, for one thing I could never figure out how to click on the playlist.

Anyway for audiophiles Foobar seems to be the way to go and I dearly want to be able to use it!

To each his own.

Apparently MM4 will support WASAPI

Win 7 allows it to be either exclusive or allow other sounds. While I want the best possible sound I can get, I still need other sound to come through (e.g. skype calls).