Sign in to follow this  
Randius

Choosing between Sleek Audio SA-6/Sennheiser IE8/Phonak Audeo PFE

I am currently using a pair of Sony MDR-EX500 and wish to upgrade to either the Sleek Audio SA-6, Sennheiser IE8 or Phonak Audeo PFE. I had only auditioned the IE8 as the other two are not available locally. So far, I do like the sound signature of IE but the bass may be a bit powerful for my liking (even at lowest setting) I had read rave reviews on both SA6 and PFE stating they are comparable to top-tier IEMs. The fact they are available at about 1/2 price of IE8 makes them more attractive options.

I listen almost entirely Japanese pop songs and most of them featuring female vocals. Prefer wide sound stage and clear vocal. I will still prefer enough bass to listen to songs from bands like UVERWorld etc. thus Audio Technica CK10 is out. Which of the three will you guys recommend? Which one will have better synergy with the iBasso D10 amp I have? TIA :D

Edited by Randius

If your main focus is on vocals and sound-stage I think Ortofon might be suitable for you. They are cheaper than the ie8 and they have better vocal performance than the ie8. From my experience with them,they perform extremely well with J-pop.

Thanks Ben, for the suggestion. I posted the same question over at head-fi and received pretty much the same recommendation. I am curious to find out, given the perceived size of the housing, does it protrude a fair amount when worn? It almost looks like I will be stuffing two bullets in my ears :P

Well think of it as TF10 but made in Japan :thumbup: . At $458 they are a better deal than ie8. Have you tried the 530s? If you have than that will you give you an idea of what the e-Q7 sounds like. Similar vocals but not as forward with better treble than the 530s and to my ears a larger sound-stage but that is to my ears of course.

Well think of it as TF10 but made in Japan :thumbup: . At $458 they are a better deal than ie8. Have you tried the 530s? If you have than that will you give you an idea of what the e-Q7 sounds like. Similar vocals but not as forward with better treble than the 530s and to my ears a larger sound-stage but that is to my ears of course.

I did audition the E530 and I like it a lot. The only gripe is with the hefty price tag...

The larger sound stage on the e-Q7 is definitely welcomed. Will an amp further improve the e-Q7's performance or only by small margin? I may need to sell my iBasso D10 on top of the EX500 in order to fund the purchase. And if it already sounds excellent without the amp, I don't see the need to carry one around.

I'm using it with my n96 which isn't exactly an ideal player and it sounded wonderful. They are quite forgiving with low bit-rate songs and they do respond very well to EQ but the only thing they can't stand is bad recording. There is no doubt that an amp will improve its performance but if you are using it on the go like me, I don't see the need for the extra weight. When you go down and audition, you should also try out the Grado gr8 as well. They are using the same technology as the Ortofons and from what I can remember they do have good vocals. If memory serves me right they should cost about the same as the Ortofons. CK100 is also another contender but they cost a lot more than the e-Q7. If budget is not an issue you can head down to stereo and try them out, their treble extension is unrivaled but their mids isn't suited for everyone's taste. IMHO the e-Q7 is the best universal IEM money can buy to date.

Edited by Ben

I'm using it with my n96 which isn't exactly an ideal player and it sounded wonderful. They are quite forgiving with low bit-rate songs and they do respond very well to EQ but the only thing they can't stand is bad recording. There is no doubt that an amp will improve its performance but if you are using it on the go like me, I don't see the need for the extra weight. When you go down and audition, you should also try out the Grado gr8 as well. They are using the same technology as the Ortofons and from what I can remember they do have good vocals. If memory serves me right they should cost about the same as the Ortofons. CK100 is also another contender but they cost a lot more than the e-Q7. If budget is not an issue you can head down to stereo and try them out, their treble extension is unrivaled but their mids isn't suited for everyone's taste. IMHO the e-Q7 is the best universal IEM money can buy to date.

Thank you for the recommendation. However, I like the design of e-Q7 more than the GR8 :P

The price of CK100 is simply out of my budget. I hope I can sell my Sony Ex500 and D10 fast enough to fund the e-Q7...

No problem, do give us an impression of what you think about the e-Q7 after you tried them and good luck.

Now I am a proud owner of the e-Q7 :D It didn't take long during the audition for me to decide this is the one! My initial impression is that the treble, mid and bass all integrate perfectly without the vocal being overwhelmed by the higher and lower ends. The vocal is excellent and it brings out the power when I listen to alan's songs. It also has more than sufficient bass for me to enjoy songs from AAA, UVERWorld etc. However, it has microphonics when I am merely walking. For the moment, I find the cable too stiff to wear over the ear yet. May consider getting the wire guide from Phonak to solve this. All in all, I have absolutely no regret getting it. Thanks for the suggestion :thumbup:

Edited by Randius

Use a shirt clip to reduce the microphonics and does Phonak sell wire guide in Singapore? Anyway glad you like it.