Sign in to follow this  
epiphone

Recommendations for upgrade to use amplification

Have been using IRiver T10 2Gb Black and Audio Technica's CK7 for quite some years now. Was previously discouraged from buying any amplification by others due to my puny setup. Would like to try it now though.

I would like to upgrade with the following items in mind, not sure whether possible given the budget of whole setup of player/IEM/amp costing less than 500 SGD:-

• More than 2Gb capacity, thinking like 16gb, but still flash
  • Have grown accustomed to the massive battery of the T10, so would appreciate something along that line; preferably AAA/AA, not sure how rare that is these days.
  • Reasonably capable of being paired with a good amp
  • Y-necked IEM, similar to the CK7

Any gurus able to suggest items/pricing/places?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by epiphone

hmmm, from what i know, nowadays mp3 player are built in battery one.

Flash based memory mp3 player are very hard to find too!

Good amp i would suggest something like the ibasso t3?

For IEM, depend on the type of music you listen to. From what i see so far, maybe you need not change your current one.

Thanks blackmouth0 for the fast response. Musically I am a rock person, though I am not a bass head (is that still what those folks are called these days?).

I gather you meant that my CK7 is still good enough for my future amp-inclusive setup; i.e. I only need to change my Iriver player?

yup, for me, i would always think that the source is the weakest link in the system. Cause the source is alway the first line to strike. Therefore, once you have a good source, I believe everything followed will sound decent.

Take me for example, I had been using my ipod as my main source. Recently found 2 old mp3 player resting at a corner of my room, one samsung, one creative. So, i out in the same songs in all 3 mp3 players, using the same equipment but only different players, i realise the different.

Cowon S9 or D2+ without amp

Because all low priced amps are not going to do good to a player. And I own a D2+, it has quite a no. of customization for sound that you should not need a amp

Should have just above 100 for phones i think, not sure the current price for the cowons

Think you should re-evaluate your objectives for wanting to get an amp. Power output is not the same as sound quality, and improving on one does not necessarily improve the other, as blackmouth0 mentioned.

Getting a decent player with decent 'phones will get you way more mileage than an amp for the same price, and is definitely better than getting all three components for a rather limited budget.

Edited by radioactive28

Sorry to thread dig and thanks for all the contributions... haven't had the time to come back to my thread.

Can someone hence recommend a credible options for source?

Cowon S9 and D2+ now retailing for how much ballpark?

Took a look at these 2 however seems a bit overkill for my purpose as I am not looking for video-playing capabilities don't need such a nice screen. Are there alternatives with good sound quality but no snazzy amoled's?

Thanks.

Edited by epiphone

D2+ 16GB I think 300 -350, S9 I'm not sure.

Anyway with the relatively small increase in size if you take the D2+, you get a very lengthy battery life

I bought mine locally actually. Choice of place to get online I don't know where's the best but you can add jetmall to your list also

There is also a Cowon J3 that you can add to your shortlist. Sony's A and X series of MP3 players also looks appealing to me, although they cannot support FLACs

With any of these players, i won't use it with amps. Would upgrade IEM instead.

:)