Sign in to follow this  
skysurf

Closed cans that works in trains and airplanes

Any recommendations?

Besides the noise cancellation cans available in the market, does closed cans do the job well? Portability also important if I want to lug one around wherever I go... By the way, the cans must fit large ears :-)

I find cans more comfortable than IEMs for longer journeys.

Or has IEM fittings improve?

Thanks!

Guest dragonboy

Any recommendations?

Besides the noise cancellation cans available in the market, does closed cans do the job well? Portability also important if I want to lug one around wherever I go... By the way, the cans must fit large ears :-)

I find cans more comfortable than IEMs for longer journeys.

Or has IEM fittings improve?

Thanks!

IPB Image

Audio-Technica ATH-ES10

How about this baby??

Edited by dragonboy

I think ATH-ES7,W9,10,1W10 should do fine. It just depends on your budget.

Edited by wew01

I think ATH-ES7,9W,10,10W should do fine. It just depends on your budget.

Thanks for the recommendations ;-)

I currently have the ATH-ANC7, but the cans presses on my ears (kind of small I guess).

Are these larger?

Thanks for the recommendations ;-)

I currently have the ATH-ANC7, but the cans presses on my ears (kind of small I guess).

Are these larger?

Eh bro, when they 'press on your ear', its meant to do so. Not that ur ears are too large. These kinda cans are called supra aural if i rem correctly. What you are looking for to cover your ear entirely would be over the ear kinds. And generally there aren't any portable headphones that are like that, not even those the guys above mentioned, because over ear ones are larger. So you would be looking for cans for home use to bring out. Some cans that come to mind: A700, A900, SRH440/840, W1000. If i remember correctly the pro700 and m50 frm AT might be over the ears. These should be more portable.

Eh bro, when they 'press on your ear', its meant to do so. Not that ur ears are too large. These kinda cans are called supra aural if i rem correctly. What you are looking for to cover your ear entirely would be over the ear kinds. And generally there aren't any portable headphones that are like that, not even those the guys above mentioned, because over ear ones are larger. So you would be looking for cans for home use to bring out. Some cans that come to mind: A700, A900, SRH440/840, W1000. If i remember correctly the pro700 and m50 frm AT might be over the ears. These should be more portable.

Thanks for this insight.

After wearing the it for a period of time (say 2 to 3 hrs), I can feel that the cans actually presses on the cartilage of my ears, and gets pretty uncomfortable. Maybe the overall fit it kind of tight to begin with. Thus, I was hoping to get the cans that can actually fit my ears in it. Will check out your recommendations. Thanks!

Thanks for this insight.

After wearing the it for a period of time (say 2 to 3 hrs), I can feel that the cans actually presses on the cartilage of my ears, and gets pretty uncomfortable. Maybe the overall fit it kind of tight to begin with. Thus, I was hoping to get the cans that can actually fit my ears in it. Will check out your recommendations. Thanks!

sure, hm im not sure if the anc7 has fit problems, but i know es7 and esw9 do. They tend to be too tight. but after some wearing out they become much more comfortable, like the esw9 i used to own, it became extremely comfortable and snug. anyway the tight headband is not an uncommon problem. i believe manufacturers tend to make it tighter so that it will fit more heads.

btw, iems are quite comfortable with the right tips. and, if you have the budget, spring for the customs. These, i believe, can provide more comfort and noise isolation than any cans or universal iems out there.

so maybe you wanna state your budget? heh.

sure, hm im not sure if the anc7 has fit problems, but i know es7 and esw9 do. They tend to be too tight. but after some wearing out they become much more comfortable, like the esw9 i used to own, it became extremely comfortable and snug. anyway the tight headband is not an uncommon problem. i believe manufacturers tend to make it tighter so that it will fit more heads.

btw, iems are quite comfortable with the right tips. and, if you have the budget, spring for the customs. These, i believe, can provide more comfort and noise isolation than any cans or universal iems out there.

so maybe you wanna state your budget? heh.

IEMs... Hmmm...

I read about customs, but have not tried it before. It really fits well as the name suggest huh?

Budget wise? $500? How much is the minimum for customs?

I actually have a pair of Jays right now (can't remember the model. Could be Q).

The original tips fits pretty well for short term, but if it's for 2 or more hours, tend to be pretty stuffed, especially if you are flying.

Can the Jays be "custom"? Or only particular brands can be "custom"?

Thanks!

IEMs... Hmmm...

I read about customs, but have not tried it before. It really fits well as the name suggest huh?

Budget wise? $500? How much is the minimum for customs?

I actually have a pair of Jays right now (can't remember the model. Could be Q).

The original tips fits pretty well for short term, but if it's for 2 or more hours, tend to be pretty stuffed, especially if you are flying.

Can the Jays be "custom"? Or only particular brands can be "custom"?

Thanks!

hmm right now if you wanna customise universal IEMS, there's UE, Westone, Etymotics, do ask stereo though. im not fully sure.

anyway if you just wna go straight for customs, UE, Livewires, Westone, ACS, Sleek, JH are some that come to mind, though with 500 it would probably be one of the more basic ones. IIRC, about 600-700 can get u the livewire trips, which is a triple amature driver custom.

actually when flying, i would personally prefer to not wear anything during take off and landing, because i feel that the sound pressure adds to the pressure difference when landing/taking off. For myself, i use westone 3 with either the medium single flang tips from shure, or the dual flanges from etymotics. these usually fit for quite some time. i've even worn them for an afternoon nap for about 4-5 hours and they still fit quite snugly when i woke up.

anyway if you fly frequently i think its better to look at iems as your option over headphones, as the over ear kind of headphones tend to be very bulky.

If your budget is around $500, get universal IEM. IMO, better. Well, I guess you can still choose to have customs.

Jays can be customs but only do that if you really like it since it will be permanently just for you only. Do contact or PM stereo for this. With a fee of course.

If your budget is around $500, get universal IEM. IMO, better. Well, I guess you can still choose to have customs.

Jays can be customs but only do that if you really like it since it will be permanently just for you only. Do contact or PM stereo for this. With a fee of course.

heh, +1 on that. With about 350-450 you could get a 2nd hand top tier universal that is in good condition or if you're lucky, brand new. From there, you can choose to spend another 300 to 400 on it to customise and add an extra driver. So for example, tf10 could be bought at about 300 on the market, then u can spend 400+ to customise and add a fourth driver. The result is something similar to ue11, which costs nearly twice as much. And anyway the customization can be done later when you're ready.

Generally i wont recommend you to buy the top tier universals in shops. I find the mark up extremely high. Usually at least a mark up of 150. But perhaps the deal will be more secure if you need it.

I just found out that the Jays can be customized... By Jays' partner in Sweden, starting in Apr 2010!

Guess what? It's a plug-&-play type that let's you revert to the original buds if you wish.

And the custom is made of silicone. No idea of the price though, and it's available in Sweden only at this time.

http://www.jays.se/products/earphones/q-ja...stom-molds.html

I just found out that the Jays can be customized... By Jays' partner in Sweden, starting in Apr 2010!

Guess what? It's a plug-&-play type that let's you revert to the original buds if you wish.

And the custom is made of silicone. No idea of the price though, and it's available in Sweden only at this time.

http://www.jays.se/products/earphones/q-ja...stom-molds.html

Actually i think they're similar to the Westone UM56, which would be available in SG. Though i don't know if they fit the Jays. In fact a few other companies do this too, ACS comes to mind.

But right now, are you already happy with the sound of Jays? Because this can be a good time to upgrade, especially if you've had your Jays for a long time already.

Actually i think they're similar to the Westone UM56, which would be available in SG. Though i don't know if they fit the Jays. In fact a few other companies do this too, ACS comes to mind.

But right now, are you already happy with the sound of Jays? Because this can be a good time to upgrade, especially if you've had your Jays for a long time already.

Thanks for taking time to comment.

I've been using the Jays for past 2 years, and am happy with it so far (of course have not tried others to compare). It does sounds good to me ;-)

I'll wait out for the so-called international launch, and take the next step.

By the way, have you done an ear impression before? I heard it needs to be done for customs.

Any recommendations? Thanks!