Sign in to follow this  
niccon

Reshelling TF10 with Unique Melody

I will admit I did not own any of the IEM mention above but I did have extensive listening period with both the TF10 and universal version of JH13. The TF10 is good by universal standards especially the treble and the rather spacious sound which is not found in most IEM but the demo version of the JH custom is another story. The best trait of the TF10 to me is it's treble detail and extension but that is nothing compared to the 13s. Custom TF10 would no doubt improve the sound but the same can be said with the 13s.

My point is unlike the 13, the TF10 is designed to be a universal IEM not a custom where as the 13 is designed from scratch to be a custom so everything from the crossover to even the positioning of the driver has been done by custom standards. The TF10 can be made to custom to provide better fit which in turns contribute to better sound to ones ears but the crossover and the positioning of the driver is only designed by the researchers to match TF10 original shell and nothing else so no doubt they are good but they can't compete with customs by just re-shelling alone. More research need to be done before re-shelled universals can compete with the real deal.

Actually if you look at the Westone ES3x full custom and UM3x universal IEM, they are the same except one is custom and one is not, both shares the same drivers and crossover.

It would still be more fair to compare when you get to hear them so as to not pass others in the forum the wrong idea. (nothing against you but I was misleaded a couple of times on the forum and I don't want this to happen on others. :no: )

you could always do a add mid driver, it just costs a little more..

it is treble that is affected, how does adding mid driver helps; please elaborate.

-ohn' date='26 Apr 2010, 06:04 PM' post='123762']

It would still be more fair to compare when you get to hear them so as to not pass others in the forum the wrong idea. (nothing against you but I was misleaded a couple of times on the forum and I don't want this to happen on others. :no: )

OT a little here, but it seems rather normal for such a subjective hobby. People are easily swept along in a wave, even for those who own the actual product in question, because, well... we're human.

OT a little here, but it seems rather normal for such a subjective hobby. People are easily swept along in a wave, even for those who own the actual product in question, because, well... we're human.

True enough.

Being in the audio game long enough, I agree that this is a subjective topic when we are discussing about sound however saying that reshelling a universal like TF10 with added drivers would not sound better than a full custom like JH13 because a full custom uses a "custom designed crossover" and "custom driver alignment drivers". Like I've mentioned the Westone ES3x shares the same parts as the UM3x universal except the custom shell and the driver alignment, this which the UM do too.

Unless custom IEM uses a different set of special armature drivers with the need for special custom designed crossover, most if not all custom IEM share similar technologies with universal IEM.

Yes, they will sound different to everyone but I really don't think its right to say which is better than which.

Edited by [J]-ohn