inviolentquiet

Recommend me a set of headphones?

Hi guys, I'm new here :D Would just like to ask for some advice for what my new set of headphones should be.

The problem is that I have a pretty difficult set of criteria - half the time I'll be using them as monitoring headphones for home mixing/recording use, so I need something with flat response, good separation and a nice wide soundstage.

On the other hand I spend most of my time outdoors, so they should ideally also have a low enough impedence for an ipod, have not too many moving parts, be relatively light, be closed back or at least over-ear and comfortable for long-term use (though sound quality is paramount over all of these of course :D ).

I have a price range of about $300-$500. Should I just get two pairs of headphones for indoor/outdoor use or is it possible to find something that can match (most) of these requirements? Thanks a lot for your help!

Just to add, I've used a pair of px100s for 5 years and loved them, but they died recently and now it's time to move on :mellow:

hi

I just recently purchase a shure 840. At 42 ohm it surely would fit for use with an ipod without ani form of amplification. The best part i like about this headset is with the reasonable pricing, you can achieve top grade response. The separation is amazing with good detail and bass is pretty reasonable for me. The bass is there but of am no bass head and don't appreciate bass that are as strong as ue10 pro iem. The bass is pretty similar to wat u can achieve out from a hd600. However as u mention, u would prefer something with a good soundstage. Being a close headset, you wouldnt be able to get soundstage as what you would expect from a open back. However the sound stage is not lagging and is still pretty alright for a close headset. My advice would be to give it a try at stereo and see if you like it. I purchase mine for S$285. Just my 2 cents hope it helped u in your choice

:D

Thank you! I actually did a test run of the 840s today and they were definitely one of the best in the ~$300 price range, but based purely from what I've heard I'm really liking the Sennheiser 600s as well. Really looking forward to testing them later this week :cans:

Yes, HD600 open back type phone do have very good potential for seperation and stage. I own HD600 and I'm very happy with the above strong point. For indoor use it's fine, don't think it will suit outdoor use, especially pairing it up with portable amp.

Mav

Thank you! I actually did a test run of the 840s today and they were definitely one of the best in the ~$300 price range, but based purely from what I've heard I'm really liking the Sennheiser 600s as well. Really looking forward to testing them later this week :cans:

yes if your could afford i would totally recommend the hd600. However like wat mav said, you won't be able to pair it with a ipod without proper amplification. Even with use with a portable amp, the full potential of the hd600 will not be achieve. Otherwise the hd600 will sure be the contender among the 2.

Guest crumple_r

first time? buy used and go through a few. try headphones and iems for a change.

Vv sound advice! Nothing better than used when unsure! :))