nandaka

[ASK] Recable+mod Senn HD202

Hi,

I'm a student and I'm new about headphone. I own Sennheiser HD202 and one of the cable to the right speaker is broken inside (if I twist it, sometimes the sound is working).

So, I want to re-cable and do a little mod to make the cable removable. The problem is I don't know what kind of cable should I use, I want to use mini stereo jack for it, but also don't know which brand/what kind I should use. Also where I can found all of this (Sim Lim Tower? Which store you all recommend?)

DIY or ask for help?

removable from the headphone bottom? I would use a mini coaxial plug, but that will perform some surgery on the casing

Canare L-4s is good to perform

material cost, > $20

Ask for help

1. where I can buy the cable/jack, and

2. what kind of cable/jack recommended.

But will do the 'surgery' myself.

Why mini coaxial plug not the usual mini stereo/rst?

Ask for help

1. where I can buy the cable/jack, and

2. what kind of cable/jack recommended.

But will do the 'surgery' myself.

Why mini coaxial plug not the usual mini stereo/rst?

since u are doing this surgery yourself

I suggest

1. open up the headphone, measure how much space u can place the plug

2. design the cable and plug layout

3. go to Sim Lim Tower , take a look at the components, that is suitable

4. cable can be bought at 2nd floor, a shop name LHS , lots of cable available (I always use Canare L-4s for headphone, 4 core and easy to use)

mini coaxial plug not the usual mini stereo doesnt matter... is up to your design. and can it be implemented on the headphone.

but if you use stereo plug, u just need 1 plug, so 1 side plug, maybe your route 1 side of the headphone through the headband

is up to your creativity

^_^ go

If I'm using Canare L-4s, how to do the soldering? If I'm not wrong, it also have copper shielding, right? Do you use the copper for grounding or use another 2 core for ground, or just use 1 for ground?

Thanks

If I'm using Canare L-4s, how to do the soldering? If I'm not wrong, it also have copper shielding, right? Do you use the copper for grounding or use another 2 core for ground, or just use 1 for ground?

Thanks

I usually use the 2 core and with the shield to ground.

u can feel and see how they are at LHS

You can use 2 wires / cores for ground wire, combined them only at the headphone jack end. You may combine them with the shield as well on the headphone jack. From the jack, use one ground wire for each channel, one for left, another for right driver.

Using separate ground wire for both channel significantly reduces crosstalk, as the test I done recently with my ATH-M50.

You can read the detail here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/crosstalk...44/#post6604961

I want to make the cable removable and attached in one side only, so I'm thinking of using mini-stereo/TRS plug. But if like you said, use 1 core for each channel and join them only in the other side, then is it better for me to use TRRS plug for the one near the speaker and the other on is using standard mini-stereo plug?

or, I can use 2 mono plug connected in single side, but I don't know how to split the cable neatly (Y split).

I want to make the cable removable and attached in one side only, so I'm thinking of using mini-stereo/TRS plug. But if like you said, use 1 core for each channel and join them only in the other side, then is it better for me to use TRRS plug for the one near the speaker and the other on is using standard mini-stereo plug?

or, I can use 2 mono plug connected in single side, but I don't know how to split the cable neatly (Y split).

It would be interesting if you could use the TRRS plug :)

http://www.yourdictionary.com/images/computer/TRRS.GIF

Other alternative is the 4 pin DIN plug & socket:

http://sg.farnell.com/deltron/590-0400/plu...pole/dp/1193849

http://sg.farnell.com/deltron/600-0400/soc...i-e1a0-00001041

I think it will be a trend to use 4 pins connector for headphones cable once people realized the difference it makes :)

You know where I can find TRRS plug and the socket (for the patch/panel, not the plug type) at sim lim tower?

No idea :( Maybe you can try LHS at Sim Lim Tower 2nd floor, behind 'Bright City' shop.

Or, buy online from Farnell Singapore, above sgd 50 is free delivery to home. Anyway, they are located at Tai Seng drive, you can go there and buy at the counter.