Sign in to follow this  
lypk

Pairing an amp to a DAC with a headphone amp

I've read somewhere that pairing an amp to a DAC with integrated headphone amp (DAC with HP amp --> amp --> HP) isn't recommended... is that true? I've seen some people with similar set-ups...

I guess it depends on whether the DAC/amp unit allows for bypass of the internal amp of the DAC. Most DAC/amps allow for that and in a way, there is no double-amping, which is seldom for soud quality.

I guess it depends on whether the DAC/amp unit allows for bypass of the internal amp of the DAC. Most DAC/amps allow for that and in a way, there is no double-amping, which is seldom for soud quality.

I see... I'm rather new to the DACs and amps, so i'm not very familiar with them... by bypassing, is it the same as using the pre-amp outputs of the DAC?

I suppose the output goes by several names, such as line-out, aux out etc. Not too sure if the term "pre-amp" is the same cos the pre-amp in hi-fi sense acts as a unit to prepare a signal for amplification (usually by a power amp). I might not be fully correct, so if there is a discrepancy in my definition, do correct me.

On a side note, which DAC are you looking at?

As long as the line output is on separate circuit from the headphones out, it should be ok. There are plenty of DACS with headphone output. All sound card are basically DAC. External sound cards normally comes with headphone out. For more professional use, they call it audio interface, and usually always come with headphones output, but also line outputs if we need to connect to external amplifier.

You may check some models and reviews here, on my friend's website:

http://www.headfonia.com/?page_id=3032

I suppose the output goes by several names, such as line-out, aux out etc. Not too sure if the term "pre-amp" is the same cos the pre-amp in hi-fi sense acts as a unit to prepare a signal for amplification (usually by a power amp). I might not be fully correct, so if there is a discrepancy in my definition, do correct me.

On a side note, which DAC are you looking at?

Ok... I'll have to read up on them. I'm looking at the Beresford Caiman. But now I'm thinking, maybe I should go for a smaller and more portable DAC.

As long as the line output is on separate circuit from the headphones out, it should be ok. There are plenty of DACS with headphone output. All sound card are basically DAC. External sound cards normally comes with headphone out. For more professional use, they call it audio interface, and usually always come with headphones output, but also line outputs if we need to connect to external amplifier.

You may check some models and reviews here, on my friend's website:

http://www.headfonia.com/?page_id=3032

Ok, I'll have a look :)