Mackie

Review: Cayin HA-1A headamp

E = Elite?

EG = Elite Gold?

Well, if you do get some I wanna ride on that gravy train too since I pretty much prefer the sound of the "Plain Jane", "Vanilla" Ei Elites anyway wink.gif

Actually N@Z,

If I do get the Cayin, then maybe HC, Mack, Oak, u and me ( and anyone else may like to explore getting some really NOS (or slightly used stuff) from http://www.audiotubes.com/6bq5.htm

As each person's system differs the right tube will probably be different for each person.

Btw, Frankie at Well Audio will carry out tests to ensure the tubes are matched if U request for it. I got my EI and JJ tubes matched to a "T" by him.

Ah but Frankie does not have the equipment to burn in the tubes at max plate voltage and then match them. There's a reason for doing this. 1st it culls about 30% - 50% of the tubes - they can't handle the max plate voltage and the tube goes pftt. Those that survive are relatively stable and can then be matched properly.

Don't get me wrong - no one in Singapore to my knowledge burns in the tube for 24 hours at max plate voltage before matching. Obviously this can only be done if you have a special rig for burn in. Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio (US) has one so does Uncle Ned of Triode Electronics (US) Watford Valves (UK). That's why their tubes cost a bit more - sometimes as much as 2x.

For an inexpensive amp it may not be worth it but I sleep easier at night knowing my tubes have all undergone a 24 hour burn-in and then matched.

Mullard fans do not have to worry as all Mullard tubes underwent a 48 hour burn-in.

Cheers

Edited by Rameish

Don't know about Uncle Ned but Kevin of Upscale Audio never reply back to any of my queries via emails.

Only a couple, initially I thought it was a problem with the email or he was a way or something. No biggie, I get to save some money that way! Anyway getting a little side tracked sorry.