Sign in to follow this  
Faileas

DIY cable

I hope the picture isn't too big... this is probably the first DIY cable i soldered together from scratch. Its meant for the car (got aux port) so i never really test it other than continuity. The jacks are metal ones from continental electricals in SLT- i just really love the way they look, the cable is canare starquad. Can do a howto if anyone needs- i need to make a short extention cable for something else later, so, i can photograph that process.

Also, if you're new to making your own cables, this style of plug are very nice - dirt cheap, and they unsolder well, in case you forget to put on the strain relief or the cover. The WHOLE case is effectively the ground, so if you want to be really sure, you might want to cover the other two pins with a little heatshrink.

(removed the dropbox hosted image cause for some funny reason some people can't see it. the posts below have pix tho.)

Edited by Faileas

I hope the picture isn't too big... this is probably the first DIY cable i soldered together from scratch. Its meant for the car (got aux port) so i never really test it other than continuity. The jacks are metal ones from continental electricals in SLS- i just really love the way they look, the cable is canare starquad. Can do a howto if anyone needs- i need to make a short extention cable for something else later, so, i can photograph that process.

IPB Image

The picture doesn't show up ;)

Works for me- unless you have dropbox blocked for some reason. I tried attaching this to the post- does this work?

post-5719-1273830406_thumb.jpg

and another one. this is male/female - my Audiotechnica M50s won't stay on my ipod- but since my cheapie connectors are quite grippy, it seems to work better. I suppose if i was bored enough, and could get a 6 pin pot, i could hack in a volume control into this basic design for whatever reason..

post-5719-1273833351_thumb.jpg