Sign in to follow this  
bpribadi

Superlux HD381 Series Mini Review & Comparison

Superlux, maybe better known for their microphones, also has headphones & IEMs in their product line. Superlux HD381 is their IEM model that comes in 3 different sound profiles:

HD381 (black color): Rich bass and powerful low end.

HD381F (white color): Flat frequency response.

HD381B (grey color): Crystal clear sound.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Graphics of frequency response showing the difference between those 3 profiles are available on their website:

http://www.superlux.com.tw/productInfo.do?...d&level=2&lv0=5

Specification:

Type:Dynamic, In-ear

Frequency Response:20 to 20,000Hz

Driver:Φ13.5mm, neodymium

Rated Impedance:16Ω @ 1KHZ, copper-coated aluminum wire

Sensitivity:103dB SPL, 1mW

Total Harmonic Distortion:˂0.25% at 1KHz/1V

Maximum Power:50mW

Cable:0.6 m (8.2 ft) 'Y' cable + 0.65 m extension

Connectors:Φ3.5mm adaptor, gold-plated connections

Net Weight:12g (9.75 oz)

IPB Image

IPB Image

The HD381 series is a semi-open IEM, so isolation is not as good as normal fully sealed IEM. Using them for the first time, people might have the feeling that they don't get the fit, because of the poor isolation, but it is actually normal since the noise isolation is somewhere in between earbuds and IEM. Not ideal for noisy environment, and those who need good noise isolation. But maybe perfect for those who requires to hear some outside sound, such as announcements, etc.

IPB Image

The HD381 series semi-open design may also contributes in it's imaging, the imaging is wider than normal IEM, sounds more relaxing, not so 'in your head', compared to common IEM. Like what we hear on fullsize headphones, the semi-open design usually has more 'out of your head' imaging than the closed design.

HD381 sensitivity is lower than average IEMs, I usually set iPod volume about 10% - 15% higher than other IEMs to get normal listening level.

I use iPod 6th Gen, 80 GB for comparing the IEMs in this review. Sometime with desktop PC with Foobar2000 v1.0.3 + Focusrite Saffire LE Firewire Audio Interface, for playing 24 bit audio tracks.

Some of the music used for this review:

All 24 bit, either 88.2 kHz or 96 kHz, on PC. Down sampled to 16 bit 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz for iPod

Album: The Super Audio Collection Volume 4

Record Label: Linn Records

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-the-s...n-volume-4.aspx

Album: Open Your Ear

Record Label: Head-Fi and HDtracks (David Chesky)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/head-fi-h...t-album-476089/

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=cat...=HD666666666666

Album: Sara K. - No Cover

Record Label: Chesky Records

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=cat...=HD090368018526

Album: The World's Greatest Audiophile Vocal Recordings

Record Label: Chesky Records

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=cat...=HD090368032362

Album: Ultimate Demonstration Disc (From CD)

Record label: Chesky Records

http://www.chesky.com/core/details.cfm?pro...D095&category=1

HD381 (black), the bassy type, has big bassy sound, but the mid and high are still in pretty good balance. I have some other bassy IEMs, that cost more, they usually tend to have very recessed high, with poor clarity. But HD381 high is not much recessed, the clarity is still quite reasonable for bassy type IEM. Although I prefer the HD381F, the flat type, basshead maybe prefer HD381.

HD381F (white) is my favorite among the 3. Very good tonal balance from bass to treble, I didn't spot any unnatural rise or fall across the spectrum, it just sounds natural. Good amount of bass precisely what I like, well controlled and no boomy bass at all. Natural midrange that is suitable for I can say any genres of music and vocal. The midrange doesn't sound dry, just natural, and a bit warm, just nice. The high is also natural, with enough sparkling.

HD381B (grey) has a very sparkling high and bright mids, but not excessively bright. While bass amount is less from HD381F, the bass is still nice, extended very well to very low bass. The mids and high are more dominant than the bass, but the bass harmonic is still very much present & rich. The HD381B sound has good sense of space and atmosphere. Tuned for mids and highs clarity, HD381B is my next choice after H381F.

As for imaging, overall, HD381 series have good imaging, slightly wider, less 'in your head' kind of imaging, than other fully sealed IEMs. Pretty good instruments separation and sense of space (especially HD381F and HD381B), although not as good as full size headphones.

All the three use the same driver, therefore they share similar sounds signature, just tuned for a different tonal balance.

Next is comparison with other well known IEMs. I did this comparison for about a month or more. I usually take 2 or 3 models daily, and use them. I found that most of them sound good, but they are different in sound signature & tonal balance. To help me to find which sounds more natural, for some music tracks I compare them with full size headphones, ATH-M50 and Shure SRH840. Also sometime with Sennheiser HD25-1 II. For the comparisons, I only compare the HD381F, as it is my favorite among the 3.

HD381F Compared to:

IPB Image

Westone UM3X

Westone UM3X mids and high is warm and very appealing, I doubt anyone will dislike UM3X mids and high, it is so 'likeable'. UM3X sounds big and warm, with very polite presentation, I like it. But UM3X bass is not perfect, the low bass is a bit boomy, and the mid bass is weak, I cannot get proper mid bass impact. Those hard hitting bass, and explosion sound, sounds big, but weak, not enough impact.

Overall tonal balance, HD381F is better than UM3X due to better bass on HD381F. UM3X sounds warmer, with better treble. I think people will like UM3X mid and high more than HD381F, I also like UM3X mid and high very much, maybe the most musical mid and high amongst the IEMs tested here. But when playing saxophone, HD381F sounds more realistic than UM3X, I can feel the aggressiveness of the saxophone sound (Chesky Records - The Ultimate Demonstration Disc, track 15, McCoy Tyner/Joe Henderson -Ask Me Now). But in general, UM3X mid and high is nicer than HD381F. For bass, HD381F has a more proper bass than UM3X. UM3X has better comfort and isolation, and I really like the twisted pair Westone cable :)

Westone 3

Westone 3 is not warm like UM3X, it is rather sounds cold, and a bit harsh in the high. I can easily hear sibilance with Westone 3. The tonal balance curve doesn't sound flat, rather like V shape or smiley shape, boosted in the bass and treble regions. The mids is not recessed, but rather muddy, maybe caused by the boosted bass. The bass is a bit boomy. Overall I prefer UM3X over Westone 3. I found the Westone 3 imaging is very 'in your head' kind of imaging, quite narrow. Westone 3 sounds energetic and aggressive, very forward and 'in your head' presentation, but for me, not musical.

Changing from Westone 3 to HD381F, I immediately feel relax, much more relax presentation, wider and more natural imaging, with a more natural tonal balance throughout the whole spectrum. HD381F is much more musical than Westone 3. But Westone 3 has better comfort & isolation.

Shure SE530

SE530 has nice, sweet, and thick midrange. Nice for vocal & guitar. SE530, overall, sounds more natural than both Westone 3 & UM3X. Although SE530 mids is not as warm as UM3X mids, but to me, sounds more natural. SE530 has forward presentation as well, but more natural and wider imaging than Westone 3.

SE530 mid bass and mids are very dominant, so overall spectrum is not too flat to my ears. HD381F has a more flat spectrum, with better bass compared to SE530, especially the low bass. HD381F also sounds a bit brighter, a bit more treble than SE530. I like them both, but more often I take the HD381F, as to me it sounds more balance, and a better all-rounder than SE530. I use SE530 when I need more isolation. SE530 also has better comfort.

Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10

One of my favorite IEM, Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10, to my ears sounds better than Shure SE530, better tonal balance accross the spectrum. UE TF10 sounds silky smooth, and natural, excellent mids and treble, very nice vocal. Actually vocal sounds best on UE TF10 than other models reviewed here. UE TF10 bass, although good and well balance, is weaker than SE530, the Westones, and HD381F. UE TF10 maybe not for bass lover, even the bass is in good balance, but sometime the bass sounds shy. The bass level is somewhere in between HD381F and HD381B. For me the bass is not too much an issue, overall UE TF10 sounds beautiful.

HD381F has better bass than UE TF10, and for some music that need more energy and aggressiveness, such as percussion & saxophone, HD381F can sound better and more realistic than UE TF10. HD381F also has a bit more sparkling treble than UE TF10. But some other music, like vocal, UE TF10 may sounds better. And being semi-open, HD318F has slightly better, more relaxing imaging than UE TF10. UE TF10 and HD381F are both very good IEMs, I like them both.

Comfort wise, HD381F is easier to wear, UE TF10 need quite some effort to wear them (over the ear). But after that, both are about the same in comfort level.

Audio Technica CK100

To my ears, CK100 has a very poor tonal balance, very weak and distorted bass, colored mids. Only the treble is nice. CK100 bass is somehow missing. HD381B, the weak bass version of HD381, has much better bass than CK100, not to mention HD381F. CK100 is really comfortable to use, and I like the soft and rather thick cable, but CK100 sound is just wrong to my ears. So I cannot comment much for CK100, HD381F sounds much better in all departments compared to CK100.

So that's all for the comparisons, hopefully you enjoy it :)

So far, I've asked Hung Brothers and Stereo, they don't have Superlux. I bought Superlux from Jakarta, each for Rp 290,000.- or about SGD 45.-. But when we buy all 3 profiles, they give promotion price, for only Rp 600,000.- or about SGD 93.- for all 3, HD381, HD381F, and HD381B. I've some friends immediately ask my help to buy for them after trying HD381F :)

For the price, and the sound quality, I'd say HD381F is really value for money.

IPB Image

FYI, Earfonia is mynickname in other forums ;)

Updated on 04 June 2010 with Summary

I updated the impression on UM3X with more accurate impression, after longer usage of UM3X.

Below is the summary based on my musical preference. First line is better than the second line, and so on.

Comfort:

1. Westone 3, Westone UM3X, Shure SE530, Audio Technica CK100

2. Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 & Superlux HD381F

Isolation:

1. Westone 3, Westone UM3X, Shure SE530, Audio Technica CK100

2. Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10

3. Superlux HD381F

Tonal Balance:

1. Superlux HD381F

2. Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10

3. Westone UM3X

4. Shure SE530

5. Westone 3

6. Audio Technica CK100

Bass Quality:

1. Superlux HD381F

2. Shure SE530 & Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 (different, depend on personal preference)

3. Westone 3

4. Westone UM3X

5. Audio Technica CK100

Midrange and Treble Quality:

1. Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 & Westone UM3X

2. Superlux HD381F

3. Shure SE530

4. Westone 3

5. Audio Technica CK100

Musicality:

1. Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 & Westone UM3X

2. Superlux HD381F

3. Shure SE530

4. Westone 3

5. Audio Technica CK100

Imaging:

1. Superlux HD381F

2. Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 & Westone UM3X

3. Audio Technica CK100

4. Shure SE530

5. Westone 3

As for detail, using iPod, I have no issue with detail, they all reveal excellent details :)

Edited by bpribadi

Little update, the HD381F detail also impressive, close to those IEMs reviewed here with BA drivers. Instrument separation and imaging is really impressive :)

I did a fast comparison of the three headphones and found that I also like the HD381F, although to be honest, with orchestral music I found there isn't much difference between HD381 and HD381F.

I found the HD381B to be too bright for my taste. Didn't listen more than 3 mins, as I really disliked the sound.

The fit was very comfortable and feels quite snug. No need for heady mod, since it is not isolating.

Another interesting thing is, the HD318F was the first pair I auditioned. In the first 10-20 seconds, it's treble sounded a little weird and then it settled down.

Maybe it's all in my brain and I am just crazy. :D

Nice pair of earphones.

Another interesting thing is, the HD318F was the first pair I auditioned. In the first 10-20 seconds, it's treble sounded a little weird and then it settled down.

Maybe it's all in my brain and I am just crazy. :D

Nice pair of earphones.

It's normal, when we are so used to with a certain headphones, or a certain sound signature, using other headphones with different sound sig, for the first time our brain will need adjustment :)) I suggest you use it longer, try more songs, and you will have a better impression of how it sounds :)

Like I've been using ATH-M50 for like more than 2 years, when last month I bought Shure SRH840, I was disappointed on the first few days, it is just so different. But after burn-in and comparing them for hours, I begin to like the Shure SRH840 :) And find it to be better than M50 in many things. It is all a matter of adjustment :D

Now I'm having fun with Shure SRH750DJ, this is surely a very fun headphone, almost like SRH840 + a subwoofer :DD The bass is really for basshead, but I'm impressed the mids and highs are still smooth and not muddy at all, despite the boosted bass. Maybe I should write a mini review about SRH750DJ, it is really a good quality basshead headphones :sony:

Edited by bpribadi

It's normal, when we are so used to with a certain headphones, or a certain sound signature, using other headphones with different sound sig, for the first time our brain will need adjustment :)) I suggest you use it longer, try more songs, and you will have a better impression of how it sounds :)

Oops, I returned the phones already. :blush:

I know what you mean about the brain need adjustment. For a few seconds, the treble sounded coloured, like a lot of other earbuds I have tried. But it quickly disappeared, as my brain "adjusted". Some earbuds, my brain cannot adjust at all.

At this price range, cannot complain. It fits into my ears a lot better than earbuds but it sounds like good earbuds. In fact the Superlux gave me an idea for DIY franken-earbuds.

I will take the silicone tips holding part of my IEMs which died and graft them to the earbuds which can't stay in my ears and see what happens to the sound. :D

Now to find the time...