ablaze

the official "Post your setup thread"

Headphones

061->035-> HD600 with Equinox

Edited by lengcm

hey, I'm very interested in these belden 89259s..are they better than the Klotz G107s? also, how's the shielding?  wink.gif

ablaze,

I don't know about the 89259s but just auditioned a few interconnects including Klotz GY107 last night. Here are my findings:

Andrew Heliax - has rather sharp highs and some female vocals are almost sibilant. Treble extension is good and very airy. I would have accepted it if not for the lean bass which really fell short of any slam and oomph. I think this cable will suit tube systems or those that are bass-heavy better.

Klotz GY107 - has deep lower-upper bass but a tad too much at times with some recordings as it tends to masks the treble. Mid range is warm and full which I like a lot as this is the area I'm trying to improve on my cans system. However, treble is less extended and this results in narrower soundstage width and depth and ambience around instruments are lacking. Generally, I think this cable may not be suitable for big orchestral works as its weakness will be more obvious. I'd recommend this cable to anyone who listens mostly to vocals and if his system is lacking focus, warmth and bass punch.

Ecosse The Composer - After hearing the above cables which excelled in two different extremes, the Ecosse sounds right in the middle. I like its open sound and ambience/soundstage is better than the Klotz but not Andrew Heliax. On vocals, I like the Klotz better whereas Ecosse tends to sound too laid back and lean....somewhat lacking in emotions. Bass has less bloom but still tight nevertheless. Overall, I find this cable rather laid back and more suitable for bright sounding systems. If this cable has the full vocals of the Klotz, Ecosse is a must buy for me!

Disclaimer: The above opinions/findings may differ in other systems and mine is as such in this system comprising of PD9700 > Belden 1694a with canare plugs > X-24K dac > X-PSU > X-cans > Beyer DT880.

Edited by Mackie

thanks Mackie. actually I got down to DIYing the Klotz already, didn't really like it. it felt a lil warmer than my 89259s. but thanks for that informative post yes.gif

No worries. I'm borrowing a pair of 89259 to try tonight. Hope it's more encouraging.

well, I don't have an expensive headphone blush.gif

pc : M-AUDIO Revo + DIY amp + 240DF

bedroom : CD6000LE + K501

pillow rolleyes.gif : PHILIPS DCC130 + MX500

240 is my favorite........

Edited by voxel

Headphones setup nearly complete,

Source : Meridian 206B CDP, iPod 5Gb, iMac 400 DV/SE, (Soon) Sony D-777, Modified Sony portable tuner.

Amps : Monster META42 built by JMT heavily modified by KurtW, Headsave META Mint built by tigger.

Headphones : Etymotics Research ER 4S, (Soon) Beyer Dynamics DT880, Sony MDR D66SL

N@z edit your inventory list lah! Your Monster META is with me now biggrin.gif

Edited by matbon0013

Smartalec! Will do!

i've been in headphones on and off for the past couple of years. started with the grado sr60 at the end of 2000. and am now only getting a decent setup. played with speakers early this year, but the rooms in the house sound very bad acoustically.

anyway my setup is:

sony 333es sacd player, mg head otl (haven't received it yet), and beyer dt880.

other headphones are sony 7506 and grado sr60. thinking of getting some etys or beyers as a better portable system.

anyone interested in a ME240? it's a nice integrated amp smile.gif www.me-au.com

Ok.. here it goes..

My headphone setup is complete. *Hybernation mode ON*

CD player : Musical Fidelity A3CD

Headphone : Sony MDR-CD3000 and Etymotic ER-4S

Amp: Opera-Audio Consonance Cyber-30

Interconnect : Tara Labs RSC Reference Generation 2

Power cord: Belden 19364

Music preference : pop(j-pop, c-pop, k-pop , e-pop biggrin.gif , ballad , rock(alternative, progressive, slow), New age.

For more pictures of my Audio Setup:

http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/andric...lbum?.dir=/a388

post-2-1075549524.jpg

post-2-1075549524.jpg

Edited by Blues

rolleyes.gif headphones..........

simply too revealing for not very good condition records........

Get a VPI and use VinylZyme

my main rig still needs some upgrades...waiting for a good and not uber expensive universal player

portable:

NJB3 -> JMT mini-mini cable -> Portable Maxedout Meta42 -> Ety ER-4S/P

Home rig

Pioneer DV667A-S Universal Player -> Outlaw PCA cables -> Singple Power MPX3 -> Grado HP-1, Ety 4S/P

Edited by RawHit