Sign in to follow this  
Faileas

Fiio e3 first impressions

Well, this is pretty much my first amp (I'll upgrade at some point, but this is mainly for messing with, including a few non audio related uses), and for most part i'm using an ipod as a source with this ( my lapto sounds better than my ipod, and i use it with my mbox2 which i reviewed earlier.). Headphonewise, i'm using a audiotechnica AaTH m50 and the 'red headed stepchild' the sennheiser HD202.

I suppose a fair start to my review should probably start with why i actually wanted an amp, and the weaknesses with my equipement i sorta hoped to fix. While the m50 is a brilliant piece of kit, the ipod classic neither has the power to drive it ('normal' listening volume requires 75% of maximum volume with no external amp - compared to say 25% with the ibuds or 50% with the hd202), and while it sounds good, dosen't compare to my laptop's soundcard (which for some funny reason works better with the m50 than my desktop soundcard) or the mbox2 (which is basically my high water mark for comparison).

The HD202 is just... a lame duck on its own in my opinion. It kind of lacks *something* compared to the eh150 that i had before it- i'm convinced it seems to lack bass on its own, but that dosen't explain why it sounds so dull, and generally gets relegated to vocal recording duties

I suppose the first thing to be said about the e3 is its cheap - you can get it online for about 6.50, and its small - most of the space of the unit is taken up by a AA battery. Its a very minimal design -got no volume control or on off switch (you switch it on by plugging in the headphone jack), and a very well hidden red light for showing its on. The whole package is *tiny*- maller than a stick of gum and prolly can be shoved out of the way, or possibly left to dangle on a wire even.

I'd note in the unit i got, i don't seem to notice *any* hiss or interference so far - many people have complained about it with the e3 - Might be a 'fixed' design, or something else. This is a good thing though

With the ipod and the m50, there was a *slight* improvement - it was slightly bassier, and listenable volume was at about 50%- it was better than an unamped output at first listen, but wasn't quite as good as say, the laptop .Still, it covers the main reason i got it. I'll probably post an update in a few weeks when i've done more extensive testing

With the HD202... It was almost like the ear fairy had swapped it for my old EH150s (which i loved)- The bass boost wasn't as pronounced as it was with the m50s to me, but it sounded a lot livelier, and bassier- i don't think i prefer it to the un-amped m50s but the e3 makes them from a blah pair to one i'd consider listenable. I think the improvement was quite dramatic in this case - more so than with the m50s. Really weirdly HD202 + ipod + fiio e3 sounds better than my mbox2 with the hd202 - since the mbox2 has the best output quality of anything i have (The m50 still beats the pants off it IMO, in most configs - just to be clear.).

To sum up? Its cheap, its small and for the price, you get a reasonably soild, tiny headphone amp that weighs next to nothing, and feels quite solid, and does seem to make a difference SQwise- if you need a TINY nudge to betterness.. I'd also note, if for some wierd reason you need an amp for a small AAA powered or ipod nano system, this might work pretty well sizewise. I'll prolly update in a few weeks once i've gotten more familiar with the setup.

Edited by Faileas

After a bit of messing around ... I'm starting to find with my 'regular' portable setup... (m50/ipod) that it seems to emphasise certain things (hi hats for one and other higher pitched percussion instrument) and de-emphasise vocals. With some music (say mechinae suprimacy) this kinda works, but for female vocals (say loreena mckennitt) its kinda meh, and sounds better unamped. With *some* tracks there's still an improvement (*grumble* specifically the ones i generally use to test, especially Valokeilojen vampyyri by indica)

Experiments will go on however, and i'll probably update in a few weeks

since u say its your 1st amp i assume u have not tried the other FiiOs like E5 E7? never tried E3 but many forums been saying the E5 is a much greater upgrade, go try them out :)

since u say its your 1st amp i assume u have not tried the other FiiOs like E5 E7? never tried E3 but many forums been saying the E5 is a much greater upgrade, go try them out :)

I will eventually. It *does* work, just not with the m50s. At some point i want to try the e7.

The e5 is supposed to be a 'cleaned up', version with a rechargable battery and selectable bass boost... so maybe it'll be better- but if i did get it, there's supposed to be a major revision soon, so better to wait. I half suspect they gonna upgrade the op-amp