Sign in to follow this  
jlow

Put your old IDE cdrom to good use

Hi all, lately I have been trying to put my junk pile of outdated cdroms to good use. Managed to source for a kitset with remote capable of controlling your old IDE cdrom. The pre-requisite is that you would require a power supply capable of 12vdc 1A and 5vdc 1A.

The function of the kitset is such that the remote can control the following:

1. Eject/Load Tray

2. Play/Stop/Tracking

3. Fast Search

4. All actions displayed on LCD display

and the remote can be programmed to control player of other brands too...

What you have to do is tap the stereo signal output from your cdrom into your preamp or the digital out (some may have) of your favourite USB DAC which can be powered by the same 5vdc supply. I use the LT1085 and should pack enough juice to power the DAC if I want to. I try not to use the PC power supply as I hate the noise coming from the fan. Oh btw I have also invested in an EI core transformer custom wound by Poly. Damn they are ex these days. Ok nothing goes without pics. This is not the end. I have more to share on other cdroms so stay tuned.

The naked version, too lazy to build chassis since I am testing some other cdroms.

IPB Image

The display, ya I know its facing up side down.

IPB Image

The power supply, cost me a lot of $$. But then again a PC tower PS would easily cost $80 and above in any case and they are very noisy in my opinion.

IPB Image

The remote, good capabilities.

IPB Image

jlow

Ok more on this remote control thingy. I managed to get hold of a couple of old philips cdrom that uses the CDM9 and had the remote controller built specifically for it.

currently in testing phase, pic for advance info.

The whole setup

IPB Image

The cdm9

IPB Image

up close

IPB Image

1543 DAC and Signetics 5532 opamp, not bad for a cd rom

IPB Image

the PCB

IPB Image

It also has a headphone output so its a bonus for those who are into headphone.

more updates on my testing on the way..

jlow

amusingly enough, i set up one on its own with a cheap 20 dollar PSU i had lying around. I wonder if this'll work with a newer CD rom since many have only one button - which i suspect is the biggest issue for me with using a cd rom drive as a player. Also can you go *back* trackwise?

Wow, I'm quite impressed! Looks like you can DIY a CDP/DAC/amp all-in-one device on a tight budget. Are you going to make a casing for it in the future?

Edited by kchew

Wow, that's very cool! :D

Where did you buy the kit for the CD ROM controller?

A bit of update there, recapped the board and replace the stock philips caps . Now its a Oscon galore, with some Muse and FCs. Upon listening, the source is definitely much much cleaner when I first listened to it.

I have also changed the volume pot and headphone jack so that I house them nicely when I am done with my chassis

IPB Image

jlow

Edited by jlow

amusingly enough, i set up one on its own with a cheap 20 dollar PSU i had lying around. I wonder if this'll work with a newer CD rom since many have only one button - which i suspect is the biggest issue for me with using a cd rom drive as a player. Also can you go *back* trackwise?

Yes this is what makes it beautiful :)

Eject, search, back track, fwd track all from remote :)

The remote is what I desired with all that flexibility built in.

jlow

Wow, I'm quite impressed! Looks like you can DIY a CDP/DAC/amp all-in-one device on a tight budget. Are you going to make a casing for it in the future?

Yes thinking real hard about the casing now!

Interesting, a CD-ROM drive so old it has I2S. Can tap to send to a better DAC.

Ya WW, I am surprised too. Did not really have time to explore more. I am just going with the normal outputs at the moment.

would that be the 'digital' pins?

There is a default digital out :)

Wow, that's very cool! :D

Where did you buy the kit for the CD ROM controller?

my job deals with parts and kitset vendors :)

where is the cd drive in your second post?

no time to take pics, lately rather occupied.

lastest, finally housed the cdm9 with remote control and all in a chassis.

IPB Image

power supply and transformer were mounted on the chassis which is 6mm aluminium. I have cut a piece of black arcyllic to replace the top aluminium cover. The cdm9 was mounted on the acryllic and the spin was exceptionally even. I use a soft mount method on light material which was supposedly superior to that of mounting on heavy materials like copper or aluminium.

IPB Image

sound wise was great on the 1543 stereo outputs. The typical characteristics of the cdm9 was eminent with its dark backgroud when connected to my EF37A-300B Integrated.

IPB Image

but you have to crank the volume higher due to the low output of the 1543 dac stereo outputs through the Signetics 5532 opamps. I'd figured a pair of output trans with 6x gain will be able to fix this. But I just can't find the space in the chassis to accomodate another DAC to take in the i2s output from the cdm9. The TDA1543/NE5532 were already a good treat.

Nothing beat the headphone out from the cdm9. The extended vocal details when playing Caiqin was simply captivating. Vocal extension is simply a treat and you got to understand that its coming from a well reputed transport in hifi history. Don't believe? Do a search on the transports that are using the cdm9 and the fans who are still keeping and fixing old transports with this baby on the internet and you will know what I meant.

IPB Image

The only disappointment was the slight pop when switching between tracks, otherwise all was worth the trouble. I would think that this is a perfect bed side player for those who are into headphones, without causing nuisance to those bunking in.

IPB Image

Ok I am more or less done with this project. Time to move on.

Cheers!

jlow

Edited by jlow

Wow... you're good! Simply excellent! :D

The open top CD player is like a modern turntable :D COOL!

thanks, a good power supply and a nice chassis is all that is required :)

Wow, great work. Nice!

cool ay?

spent less than $500 and you get a nice cd player with a top transport

and it comes with a headphone output some more

and the audio quality will easily surpass any players in the $1k range, good value

jlow

Wow... you're good! Simply excellent! :D

The open top CD player is like a modern turntable :D COOL!