Sign in to follow this  
XiaXueYi

Magnepan speakers?

Brief reading tells me that they seem to be (another) one of those quite renowned brand names...and are well-received.

Does anyone hear own them, or have heard them before? Thanks.

"Maggie" their nickname!

It also requires quite somehow of power to drive them well!

Magneplanar as the name suggest that they are planar speakers.

Some wise is very wide, very spacious except the lower region (bass)

If compared to Apogee, it's pretty hard to draw the line clearly but Apogee speakers are ribbon!

Guest dragonboy

I thought Magneplanars or "Maggies" for short are also ribbon speakers?? Although Apogees is a totally different league of its own, there are other ribbon speaker manufacturers like Martin-Logan.

Yes they do give an extremely wide soudstage and they are usually not too effecient... So you might need to be more selective on your electronics. Bigger room space required might be the reason why they are not so popular in S'pore. The Maggies 3.5 that i heard at the CES was superb though... but considering the electronics they used was 2 Perreaux 750w monobloc!!! The Maggies is a wild horse to tame..... If you can tame it. :grin:

Martin Logon are Electrostatic ribbons

Apogee are ribbons

Maggie are planar ribbons

Guest dragonboy

To cut everything short, those mentioned above are not easy to tame and if require repair due to the humidity of local weather... it's unlikely to kill.

Brief reading tells me that they seem to be (another) one of those quite renowned brand names...and are well-received.

Does anyone hear own them, or have heard them before? Thanks.

I find them more forgiving than Martin Logan, but I would not use a low powered tube or a low quality solid state amp to drive them though. Preferably a solid sate with moderate power, has reasonable smoothness and great imaging.

The imaging is spacious and wide but the scale can be unrealistic; a single guitar soloist sounds like the size of a piano.

Hi,

Magnepan MMG and MG 1.6QR have been my only speakers since 2000. You either like them or you don't. After 10 years you can assume that I do. Most of what have been said in the previous post is correct. They are not the easiest loudspeakers to live with. Forget about impressing your friends and the WAF is not good. All MG have the same sound signature. You just get more as you get the bigger ones.

That said, they do give a lot of music. You may feel that they are difficult to setup but it is mostly an illusion. Any loudspeaker needs to be setup correctly to sound optimal. I used them initially with tubes amps and the sounded great but they taxing the tubes and I got tired of replacing them every 6-7 months so I moved to solid state. The source and the preamp are at least as important if not more.

Feel free to email me if you wish.

Jacques