UM3X

Westone vs Shure

:rclxub:Hi guys i would like to know from you guys that if compare the IEM of westone and shure let say UM3X with SE530 which is better overall ?

i tink out there u're gonna get the shure camp and the westone camp..

i'm in the westone camp.. just like that little bit more balance and controlled bass. Shures are abit too "loose" for my tastes.

:rclxub:Hi guys i would like to know from you guys that if compare the IEM of westone and shure let say UM3X with SE530 which is better overall ?

For me, personally I prefer UM3X, but it is also depend on what tips used on the UM3X. I tried 2 different silicon tips, and a foam comply tips, they all make UM3X sounds very different. I don't like the white silicon tip, it is too hard, and UM3X sounds dull with it. The Westone 3 grey silicon makes UM3X sounds very nice, but mid bass a bit recessed, not enough punch. But good low bass. The comply foam makes the UM3X sounds midrange centric, thick and warm midrange, very different than the grey silicon.

So, again, the tip plays a great role for UM3X sound :)

SE530 sounds a bit muddy to me, too much midrange, not enough high clarity.

My2cents :)

I have heard both the 530 and um3x and decided to get the um3x. Sound wise I prefer the more controlled bass and better treble then then 530 althought the mids for the 530 is much smoother and the bass thumping is better. This is all a personal preference, you should give both of them a try first before getting it. The 530 is no longer in production, not too sure if the newer 535 sound the same

Have heard the um3x and shure 535.

IMHO,

Um3x have a really wide soundstage. Instrument seperation was great as well. But bass wasn't that punchy and strong. Overall presentation of the music was quite dull and boring to me. Also, it's very comfortable to wear it.

As for shure 535, the bass was abit overpowered.. Sounded very boomy to me. Sound stage ain't as wide as um3x, instrument seperation was ok only.

my 2cents. :)

I think we should be comparing the UM3X with the SE530 because the SE535s sound very different from the original SE530s

I have not done a side by side comparison but I very much prefer the 530 for the smoothness in the vocals. It seems to sweeten everything up very well.

After a long chat with Andy at jaben and testing out the WT3 and the SE530s, i finally realised why they are sounded so different. Indeed there are probably some differences inbetween the wt3 and the um3x but then again its all about the westone's sound signature vs the shures. In my opinion, buth have their good and bad points. I would take a neutral stand since i've sworn my loyalty with etymotics.

Before we talk about the sound, we must first look at their target audience. Westone designs their earphones more for studio/monitoring purposes. This explains the higher clarity better seperation. I personally feel that there is a clear distinction between the highs / mids and lows. In fact they are taken so far apart that it sound really artificial to me. Then again, this is what is required as a monitoring earphone. Due to this huge separation between the freq ranges, there is a sense of a large sound stage. To me however, its just artificial.

Shures on the other hand are designed for another purpose, for personal listening. This is the reason why it tends to be smoother, bassy, somewhat muddy and overall easier to listen. Indeed due to this merging of the freq ranges, it may seem as if it isn't as detailed as the WT3 or that its soundstage isn't as good. Perhaps because they find it easier to listen to when it is done this way.

In conclusion, both these brands have their own strengths and weaknesses mainly because they have a different approaches for target audience when they designed their earphones. Westone having a history of designing more for montoring and shure inclined towards personal listening.

um3x...530...these are definitely the better products within their brands.

In terms of clarity, its hard to fault them compared to the iems in the 100-300 price range..

they are definitely CLEAR sounding and very capable of reproducing the notes from your source.

this is a given...unless u are darn picky...or have very critical hearing.

Tat said, the um3x belongs to what i call the beyerdynamics type of sound signature..

clear, good seperation, analytical...a little standoffish. Great for big orchestration..

u get the sense that all the instruments are given attention to.

If your source is poor for that song...u get it really bad tooo.

its very faithful to bring it out.

The 530 gives a more lush, more in your face, engaging signature.

I tend to want to stand up n dance to the music when i put on my 530.

The comments about the highs being rolled off becomes a technical discussion..

quite redundant to my happymood....lol.

So at the moment..in the day, i have my 530 in my shirt pocket..

with the SHORT cable..clipped to a sansa clip+ . and enjoy the thumpings

as i walk the streets. dun need an amp..super compact.

( todate i still have difficulty putting on the iem wire behind my ears..

the wire kept coming off..so i wear the 530 the normal way.. :lol: )

AT nite, i put on the symphonies and ballads with the full orchestra behind..

n relax with my UM3x...with the longcable..very good isolation..shut out the

melodrama my wife is watching...kickback n zzz...most enjoyable i must say.

(this um3x sits very well in my ears..perfect fit..very comfy..outstanding)

I love both these iems...if i must choose only ONE iem on a low budget..

i would go for the WOODY2... :whistle:

its cheap..its clear...its fast...its lush...its thumping...very good soundstage..

about 80% of these two..in most area...an inbetween.

Haa...i caught u there..didnt i.

:b2t

okok...my vote goes to the 530.

Edited by woodpecker