JohnnyWalker

Advice help plz

Hi to all, this is my first post, first of many to come. As i want to enter the world of great, inspirating sound, it was very hard for me to decide for the best music system in the budget (aprox 1000$). So i want to ask some people with vastly more experience than me whalt should i get. For now i have a decent system : HD555 (with removed foam from inside, sounds a lot better), xonar dX and my dad owns a pair of Bowers&Wilkins 683 and some nice Rotel amps and CD. Unfortunatly i can not afford those speakers for my room and i want to listen at night too. Now some info of my tastes and likings.

My music: Well i listen to all kinds of music like rock (GunsNR, Led zepp, Pink F., Jethro Tull, Metallica, Ozzy), Buddha Bar collection, hip hop, jazz and not the least classical music.

What i am looking for: very good soundstage with detailed and accurate sound. I also love extreme highs that make me shiver. And for my hip-hop and some rock i want to be able to listen a powerfull, detailed and beautiful bass.

Now i know i need a DAC to process the sound coming from my spdif connector (flac files ftw) on my xonar dx card and a good amp. After reading the forum i put my eyes on the AKG 702 and Beyerdynamic DT 880-600ohm and also the little dot MK III, and have no idea for the DAC. Now i am VERY opened for other models, just to fit my 1000$ budget.

Regards,

Alex

I think you can scratch the K702 from your list. They have very good bass quality, but not enough quantity for hip hop. They are very fussy when it comes to ampifiers too. And to be honest, I'm not sure if the LD MkIII is capable of driving a 600ohm Beyer well.

For the DAC, the Maverick DAC seems like a good package for the price.

Second the option for Maverick DAC, even though I have not heard one myself yet.

I think for the kinds of music you listen, Grado headphone will be your best bet. ;)

Any Grado Headphone + Maverick DAC = You can ROCK THE HOUSE :grin: