littletree76

Where to find tubes in Singapore ?

I have just purchased a tube buffer to complement solid state headphone amplifier. I am looking for matched pair of 6SN7 NOS tubes to replace made-in-China 6N8P stock tubes.

As I have few more tubes to purchase for tube rolling, it will be more practical to find them in local stores in Singapore rather than through eBay. I head there is a old store somewhere near Sim Lim (Square/Tower ?) where wide variety of tubes can be found.

Thanks in advance.

I have just purchased a tube buffer to complement solid state headphone amplifier. I am looking for matched pair of 6SN7 NOS tubes to replace made-in-China 6N8P stock tubes.

As I have few more tubes to purchase for tube rolling, it will be more practical to find them in local stores in Singapore rather than through eBay. I head there is a old store somewhere near Sim Lim (Square/Tower ?) where wide variety of tubes can be found.

Thanks in advance.

Burlington Square, next to Sim Lim Square...two shops there, Well Audio and Martin.

Guest crumple_r

Burlington Square, next to Sim Lim Square...two shops there, Well Audio and Martin.

Are most of the more popular tubes available there?

Are most of the more popular tubes available there?

I have been to these two shops some time ago in looking for tubes to upgrade my tube buffer. Most of the tubes found are brand new stocks manufactured in China or Russia but not NOS (New Old Stock) tubes manufactured in USA. Moreover finding match pair is impossible as these tubes are brand new from factories and have not been matched by users before. You need NOS tubes if matched pair is required for your application.

NOS tubes are valued and priced higher than new tubes since they are no longer in production in USA and deemed to have gone through better manufacturing process than the new stocks (during 60s and 70s). Right now NOS tubes are only available through ebay, only pick sellers with good rating but not items/sellers located in Hong Kong or China. I have bad experience buying second tube buffer from seller registered in Hong Kong (but item shipped from factory in China) through ebay. The item was dead on arrival and seller refused refund according to policy stated in his ebay post. You need deep pocket to bid for hot/rare highly contested NOS tubes in ebay at very last minute just before auction is closed. The prices for these tubes have been rising during past few years as well. So might as well go for reasonably priced NOS tubes (perhaps second best) with "buy it now" option.

Hopefully in near future there will be US companies take over tube manufacturing facilities in China and Russia and start producing quality tubes again (but tube demand has not been high since advent of solid state device). Then tube upgrade no longer become definite necessity whenever you buy a new audio equipment with tubes. Then price of NOS tubes will drop as well.

I found some Tung Sol 6SN7s, supposedly NOS, at AHFArtAudio at Upper Cross Street near OG Chinatown. The best prices are still on ebay though, but as always caveat emptor. And yeah, the prices of the really good tubes keep increasing, like the Tung Sol round plate, Osram B65 and Brimar CV1988.

Edited by kchew