Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

Buying and mantaining vintage discmans in S'pore

ya sorry ... i also have the pouch laugh.gif ... is a black colour leather ... with ESP ... somewords printed on top hee hee unsure.gif ... i forgot about the pouch .. (reason it look so ugly .... i using my d-e885 cloth pouch which look better yeah.gif .... hmmm lekguan how about you post some of your discman picture here .. let me take a good look my badly mine is .... lol.giflol.gif i post mine later ...

Edited by N3w_Typ3

WAhhaaa just check it out with sony for the service for D-777 ... the upper panel cost $74 ... w00t.gif . the bottom panel cost $42 ... smoke.gif the laser head cost $$55 no.gif and the the rack is $3~5 . whistling.gif ... and service charge $40 ... lol.gifhammer.gifhammer.gif killing ... a rip off lol.giflol.gif

N3w_Typ3, my justification of the rip off you mentioned.

My three D-777's average at USD100, and there is one on eBay going strong at GBP102 with 2 days to go. I think paying SGD70 for your unit is not bad a deal considering the state it is in. I can relate that the parts and labour is expensive. But that is the market price of a mint condition D-777, bear in mind this model has been discontinued for more than 7 years, meaning parts are no longer produced and stocks are rare.

As I said the skipping problem might not be a weak laser mechanism, try my relubricating fix (which lekguan has described earlier) and see what happens. I have to warn you, it is not to be done by somebody who is heavy handed.

Edited by matbon0013

Ya matbon0013 hmm i some how agreed with you biggrin.gif .... i don't mind paying that much on the repair fees laugh.gif as it worth the money because is a product No longer in production by sony ... some more this pcdp is from japan and SOund GrEAt.... w00t.gif ya is still a rip of lol.gif ... but it somehow worth the money ( at least when it comes back, it look like brand new ... just took out from the box that feeling which i cannot describle ... kicking.gif )

For my case the laser head is confirm near death no.gif Cos it cannot read some of the cds i have hammer.gif sad to said ... i not that daring to relubricating the part as i worry that i damage the player instead hammer.gifhammer.gif

I still got my Sony Discman D100, the first Discman ever made.

Is it worth something? Anyone intetested in the pictures?

It runs on a lead acid battery pack.

(Audio)

Lead Acid? Must be real heavy. Hm, I'm not sure if its worth much, but its not in the hall of fame of classic PCDPs I guess.

BTW I've seen your avatar from HWZ. Are you from there as well?

I still got my Sony Discman D100, the first Discman ever made.

Is it worth something? Anyone intetested in the pictures?

It runs on a lead acid battery pack.

(Audio)

The first discman I thought was the D5 - I've got two of them but will need to be serviced.

lekguan: he's also 'audio' from hwz

yeah I also thought d5 is the first ever discman

w00t.gif Woo .... D-5 blink.gif and D-100 innocent.gif .. any pictures on the discman .. maybe i should start collecting dicsman lol.giflol.gif haha .... ya ... i have decided to send it for a full repair inculding changing for the casing kicking.gifkicking.giflaugh.gif

kicking.gif Cool .. yeah.gif man i wonder out there anyone selling ... cos i love to collect things lol.giflol.gif .... hmm is the body metal built ? beer.gifw00t.gif I think damage model i also accept cos just for collection lol.giflol.gif but must be cheap ... lol.giflol.gif

I've two units in mint cosmetic condition but sadly not working because were left cold for too long.

Sony has confirmed end supply for their parts.

One of them is going into my vintage electronics collection museum.

The manufactured date is 1985 on the back of the players.

PM me if anyone is interested in the other one (player only). wink.gif

oh freak, I would have got that if not for duncan's super delay in the reviewing, until today still haven't review D11 and D111. evil can bring during meet?

How much did u buy for?

Edited by lekguan