niccon

Neutrik & Viablue 3.5mm Jack, the same or 1 is better than the oth

New to diy :P . Intend to diy a new 3.5mm jack for earphone cable and lod cable thus wondering which is a better choice in term of performance improvement or both is equally good? The cable for earphone is twag and lod is both twag and qable Silvercab-pro which i am modifying the connection. TIA

in terms of looks and build quality, i think the Viablue 3.5 mm is better. However do consider cost, for the price of 1 viablue, u can easily buy 2 switchcraft jacks. Do consider pailicc plugs, you can get them from koba. Very handsome plugs which are slightly more expensive than neutrik, but cheaper than switchcraft and viablue. You might want to neutrik first as it is the cheapest and relatively easy to solder.

Edited by dennis28288

Do practice on Neutrik plugs when you're just starting. Perhaps the most practical plug to me is the Switchcraft plugs as the plugs are more sturdy and easier to solder compared to Viablue plugs.

Viablue plugs do look good in pictures but when it came to the real life object I wasn't so impressed with the plastic feel and the stress relief isn't great either

Performance wise, unless you have ears that are so extremely sensitive, there's practically no difference.

Edited by Plexcio Acoustics

However do consider cost, for the price of 1 viablue, u can easily buy 2 switchcraft jacks.

:)) ya it is the cost that prompts me to post for clarification here. i wasnt keen to spend more unless there is a good reason to do so.

Btw I just found out the price of vaiblue is almost the same as switchcraft, under 2dollar diff.

Edited by niccon

Do practice on Neutrik plugs when you're just starting. Perhaps the most practical plug to me is the Switchcraft plugs as the plugs are more sturdy and easier to solder compared to Viablue plugs.

Viablue plugs do look good in pictures but when it came to the real life object I wasn't so impressed with the plastic feel and the stress relief isn't great either

Performance wise, unless you have ears that are so extremely sensitive, there's practically no difference.

dont think my hearing is so sensitive. can i clarify that if plug makes almost no diff then the solder will not be much of a concern right? i was intending to use solder with silver content, looks like i can fall back on normally solder.

Edited by niccon

I use silver solder mainly for the improved strength. I do feel silver solder is worth it because it isn't a whole lot more expensive.

oh..which silver solder then :think: , there is a few to choose from.

I use mundorf silver solder which cannot be found in Singapore as far as I know. Switchcraft plugs cost $8 each. Half of Viablues

Wow, :drool: please advise where to get at $8, i was told at the price is around $10-12 depending on which shop i buy from.

koba do not sell the switchcraft connector with gold plated but ordinary plastic 90deg type. i went to LHS to get.

mundorf silver solder can get from leda resources

lazy to order, since i was at koba, bought a small pre packed 4% Ag solder from them. it looks more shiny then normal solder which i used. is this how other silver solder look like too?

Edited by niccon

lazy to order, since i was at koba, bought a small pre packed 4% Ag solder from them.

I hate to say this but, bad choice bro... not to say that their products aren't good. but i recently bought a 4% silver solder from them and it can barely stick on my connector. Most of the time, i ended up mixing it with normal 60/40, tin/lead. However viewpoints may differ from person. As a beginner, i'd advice going for normal 60/40 or the 2% silver. I can't say anything about the mundorf silver solder since i'm yet to try.

Edited by dennis28288