Sign in to follow this  
kehyi

ATH-SJ5

Just bought an SJ5 from SE@PS, for use while commuting :cans:

Initially wanted to get an IEM, but with decent ones costing rather a lot, i decided to lower my expectations. After all, I'm not going to do any critical or deep listening while on the bus/MRT...

Had a chance to compare the SJ5 with K518 and D1001.

D1001 was eliminated almost immediately: it's comfy, but provides virtually no isolation. Thus, total fail for commuting use :no:

Between SJ5 and K518, the AKG's sound was more recessed while the AT was more upfront. This meant the K518 had more 'depth' while the SJ5 has more 'presence'. Whether after long listening the SJ5 will become fatiguing, I don't know... hope not. Oh, the SJ5 is more efficient as well, being a little louder than the K518.

K518 had better isolation due to the greater clamp force, but I felt the SJ5 was adequate. It's probably not a good idea to be totally cut off from the outside world anyways :sweat: (I should start a thread on how many 'near-misses' we've had on the roads... :terrified: )

overall, I'm satisfied with the SJ5. It should be able to do all I ask it to do: allow me to listen to music with pleasure while on a bus or train. Throw in the fact that it costs just over half the K518's asking price meant that it's really good value as well.

I should change my avatar pic and sig... ^_^ [edit: done]

Edited by kehyi

not sure if forum etiquette abt prices has changed... in any case, I paid less than $70 :) mind you though, these are by no means audiophile quality, but should be good enough for listening while on the go.

burning the babies in as I type. The bass seems a bit... 'wild' at the moment. Hopefully it'll tighten up as the drivers get some exercise.

Hmm I did not get to try ATH SJ-5 when I went to that outlet, instead I bought the new ATH SJ-11 @ S$58. I am still pretty noob at these headphones, but how is it to be compared with the SJ-5? :cans:

hmm... did AT raise prices?

SJ11 is the updated version of the SJ1 & the lowest-end model in the SJ series. It sports a smaller driver (36mm vs 40mm for SJ33 and SJ55) and plastic housing (it may not be obvious, but the SJ5/SJ55's driver is housed in aluminum painted black; the rest of the earcup is plastic though.)

I didn't audition the SJ1 when I bought my SJ5 so I can't say how they compared soundwise. I tried the SJ3 some years back and it didn't impress me then.

In any case, if you enjoy the sound and style of the SJ11 for the price you paid, then that's great. It doesn't matter really what other people think, after all, it's your own ears that are doing the listening :cans:

enjoy :party: