Muzzi

Where to get tubes?

Hey all, ive decided to tube roll my SRM-T1S...only problem is that i dont have tubes!

So, does anyone know where to get matched pairs of tubes? Im looking for 6CG7/6FQ7, preferably Toshiba, Matsush*ta, Raytheon or RCA clear tops

Thanks!

Hey all, ive decided to tube roll my SRM-T1S...only problem is that i dont have tubes!

So, does anyone know where to get matched pairs of tubes? Im looking for 6CG7/6FQ7, preferably Toshiba, Matsush*ta, Raytheon or RCA clear tops

Thanks!

Try Well Audio and Martin at Burlington Square else ebay for more choice and sometimes better pricing.

Edited by niccon

Well Audio don't stock matched pairs, I didn't ask Martin's but I'd be surprised if they do.

AHFArtAudio near Chinatown OG is another place selling tubes, but I think the only matched pairs they have are the Shuguang Treasures.

Thanks!

Hi,

I,m always amused when experienced as well as newbies ask about "matched pairs"

of tubes.This shows that most people accept claims that are unproven and in the wrong context

of tube technology as well as reality.Let's say you've got a "matched pair" ,how long will it stay "matched"

in your circuit or amplifier? Why are people so obedient or gullible? Well it seems you have been played

into the hands of marketing since the days of hifi / highend profiteers.Matched tubes cost more!

Even more if you want NOS tubes.

Matched tubes are or may have relevance in the amps that use pushpull

circuits where the top and bottom halves of a signal is processed by 2 tubes.Bear in mind that the

frontend or preamp before the phase spliter is single ended which means the full signal is not chopped

in half to feed the power tubes.

Now the question you should ask is, "What circuit do I have?".In most cases like

headphone tube amps is that they are in the majority "single ended".So in reality you don't need them

to be "matched".You may ask, "don't the stereo channels need matched tube?" Then you are talking

about the gain or amplification or apparent difference between channels which I can assure you that

they are probably within accepted levels to your ears.If you can hear the difference then the circuit or

tubes may have aged.Other than than it is badly designed in the first place.

Let's come to the reasons or circumstances that matched or quality standards should

be present in terms of electronic performance, yes, tubes in their day IS electronic technology.Is is well

known that electronic circuits are sensitive to small changes in parameters and therefore affect performance

especially during world war 2 and during the "50s era of coldwar between US and Russia/Soviet Union right up to

the 70s.

Radio and radar technology are high tech then and even now.There began in the US military investigating

ways and means to minimise tube failures which will mean life and death and perhaps military success in the

field situations.This the begining of the the concept of quality control during production as well as maintenance.

Flashback to modern day with the recall of hundreds of thousands or cars by famous manufacturers.Get the idea?

Now let's come back to the subject proper.Do you really need matched tubes?Does it make a difference

to the quality of sound or music that you hear? I have to give that different people hear differently so what makes

matched tubes superior? There really is an ART to sound or music because you are involved intimatedly with the

things that constitute reality as you know or don't know it.The parts is the sum of the whole as is frequently

mentioned.It is time to understand just like the Japanese who know so well that what you seek in terms of sound

or music is BEAUTY.Human beings intuitively understand and feel beauty.You don't need to be an artist or philosopher

to know this.So learn what is beauty in terms of music,learn from the japanese masters of tube amplification

and other white converts who have come to know it's secrets.Yes it takes effort but you won't be wasting

your time wondering about matched tubes, it's more than that, much more....

So purleezh don't ask about matched tubes anymore. Good luck.