Sign in to follow this  
ablaze

PPA builders' thread

I'm not aware that the boards were out, thanks for the reminder.. I just went to Tangent's site to take a look. It seems that Tangent is not selling the HA5002 buffer, too bad coz his prices for the other buffers were reasonable.

My esitimate for the cost would be $200-$300 if you want to built to spec.

Edited by jtfoo

yeah I ordered a PPA board.

whether or not I'll actually get down to trying to build it is another matter. sleep.gif

so you're gonna be building one jt? that'd be great since you can guide me along the way! biggrin.gif

so where can we get the HA5002 buffers?

yeah I ordered a PPA board.

whether or not I'll actually get down to trying to build it is another matter. sleep.gif

so you're gonna be building one jt? that'd be great since you can guide me along the way! biggrin.gif

so where can we get the HA5002 buffers?

I'm also interested in doing the PPA. But I want to checkout the prices for the buffers before committing into the project coz 12 buffers is no joke in term of cost.

For buffers the usual place, RS or Farnell, should have them.

If I'm free on the weekends I might checkout if the SLT has the HA5002 cheaper. Hopefully can find.

12 buffers is the max right? isn't the minimum 4? ie. 1 per channel + 2 for ground?

I'm taking a shot in the dark here since all the knowledge I have is from tangent's site and the DIY forums. Hope I won't screw it up man blush.gif

Yes, 12 is the max, which is also the spec by the PPA team. Minimum should be 3, I think the ground can also do with one buffer.

Now since Ablaze had notify us on the release of the board, I've been spending company's time scanning Tangent's site. Here's someting to note about the HA5002 buffer mentioned here

One reason the '5002 buffers sound so good is that they don't have output protection. Output protection circuitry means that it's harder to kill the chip when shorting the output, but it also interferes with sonic quality. The '5002 buffers will put out as much current as the load will accept, even if this destroys the buffer in the process. When driving headphones to normal volume levels, this isn't a problem because the headphones' impedance limits current through the circuit. But, examine a headphone jack and plug: you'll find that the plug shorts the outputs to ground momentarily as you pull the plug out. If you pull the plug out slowly enough or the amp's output voltage is high enough, this momentary 0Ω short can make the buffers put out enough current to kill them.

So try not to hot plug the headphones to be on the safe side.. buffer not cheap..

Edited by jtfoo

trying to figure out where to get all the parts for now. Farnell seems to have most of the stuff. I'm still wondering if I should go for it sleep.gif

btw, the HA5002 buffer's $10 a piece at farnell, but if you buy more than 10 its $7.

ie. 6 buffers will cost $60, but 12 buffers will only cost only $85 party.gif

ablaze, put up a power buy thread for the PPA see how many people want it. More people sharing the cost for shipping and discount on parts too went buy more. tongue.gif

actually I already ordered my board. blush.gif

but then again, not much point sharing shipping from tangent since shipping's only a couple of dollars from tangent anyway.

Ablaze,

Are you a student? Coz Farnell got discount for student..

Maybe you can help us to get the buffers if got discount.

Ablaze,

Are you a student? Coz Farnell got discount for student..

Maybe you can help us to get the buffers if got discount.

really? yeah I am. where do I put in my "student" status?

barradio: hmm..interesting idea. but how many people actually WANT to build a ppa?