Sign in to follow this  
Lobaba

Fake ATH-ESW 9?

the colours on the headhone looks too bright and seems very fake.

come across a fake one that my friend bought out of curiosity, the most distinct different we notice is the feel of the headphone cup. Real one is smooth but fake one is rough.

What are the different ways to spot the major differences between the genuine & counterfeit ?

As that the head-fi links seems to have error to load the pages!

I'm sure this will benefit all !

Cheers!

What are the different ways to spot the major differences between the genuine & counterfeit ?

As that the head-fi links seems to have error to load the pages!

I'm sure this will benefit all !

Cheers!

Alrightz, at one point, I was in possession of both the fake and genuine ATH-ESW9.

The first difference is the box: The white text on the box is broken up as in it's not very solid, feels like it is flakking off.

Secondly on the box, the gold text is 'too golden'

Lastly, the stick on black sticker at the back of the box is different, kinda hard to describe, the only way to compare is to compare to another ATH series. I had the ATH-ES7 to compare with. Pictures will not show any difference.

On to the headphone itself, the first and most obvious difference is the wood on the cans, off out of the box, it's too red, not the deep rich dark red colour, over time, the fake ATH-ESW9 will actually develop into the same colour!! So this is not a very good gauge but no problem, there's more!

2nd difference, there's a sorta matte coating (for a lack of better description) on the genuine ATH-ESW9. The fake has the wood exposed to the air, sorta like a wooden table without coating.

3rd difference, there are wooden scratches on the fake ones, not sure if it's just mine but if u see grain scratches, it's fake.

The last defining difference: if you remove the earpads and look into the headphone, the copper coil is silver for the fake and blue for the genuine.

But of course, this is just my own experience for the fake I got and had it refunded, there might be other manufacturers who make even more better fake ones.

In the end, the litmus test is your ears, if you find no problems with it then...you don't deserve the real one :party:

But of course, you can't really tell the difference within the first 5 mins of testing (which was what I did), listen to it for 20 mins and you may feel like me: tearing it off my ears and stomping it into the ground, soundstage was narrow, messy in the treble though bass is powerful.

Best way to avoid fakes: support local shops and get from authorised dealers like Jaben or Stereo etc.

Currently proud owner of ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ES10 coming to me from japan courtesy of a friend :thumbup: